Licking County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Licking County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Licking Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Licking County was created on March 1, 1808 from Fairfield County. This county was named for the salt licks in the area .
The Licking County Seat is located in Newark also, the county government website is www.lcounty.com .
Areas bordering to Licking County are Knox County (north), Coshocton County (northeast), Muskingum County (east), Perry County (southeast), Fairfield County (southwest), Franklin County (west), Delaware County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Licking County include Alexandria, Buckeye Lake, Granville, Gratiot, Hanover, Hartford, Heath, Hebron, Johnstown, Kirkersville, Newark, New Albany, Pataskala, Reynoldsburg, St. Louisville, Utica .
Licking County Townships Include Bennington, Bowling Green, Burlington, Eden, Etna Township, Fallsbury, Franklin, Granville, Hanover, Harrison, Hartford, Hopewell, Jersey, Liberty, Licking, Madison, Mary Ann, McKean, Monroe, Newark, Newton, Perry, St. Albans, Union, Washington .
Licking County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Licking Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Licking Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Licking Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Licking County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Licking County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Licking County Chapter, OGS, 101 W. Main St., Newark, OH 43055-5054; Phone: (740) 349-5510; Licking County Chapter, OGS meets January, February, March - First Sunday of the Month at 2:00pm. April - Annual Dinner Meeting - Place & Time To Be Announced. May, June & July - First Monday of the Month at 7:00pm. August - Annual Picnic - First Monday of the Month - Place & Time To Be Announced. September - Second Monday of the Month at 7:00pm. October and November - First Monday of the Month at 7:00pm. December - Annual Christmas Party - First Monday of the Month at 7:00pm - Place To Be Announced. The Licking County Genealogical Society and Library, housed in the County Annex Building, provides an extensive collection of books and microforms with a primary focus on Licking County. The collection includes Bible records, family histories, court and cemetery records and obituary files.
- Licking County Historical Society, PO Box 785, Newark, OH 43058-0785
Phone: (740) 345-4898; The Licking County Historical Society provides its collection of books, maps, manuscripts, and photographs as a resource for the community. The Society works cooperatively with area schools to provide informative programs, and presents lectures, walking tours, exhibits, and open houses all to increase the historical awareness of area residents. It also owns the Robbins Hunter-Avery Downer House and Alligator Mound in Granville.
- Granville Historical Society, 115 East Broadway , Granville, OH 43023
- Catholic Record Society - This website is potentially useful for people looking for records from the catholic churches in the Licking county (and other counties in Central and Southern Ohio). They have an online name index for the 3000 or so records that they have published in their newsletters.
- West Licking Historical Society, 14025 Broad St SW, Pataskala, OH 43062-8266; Phone: (740) 927-4049
- Licking County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Licking County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Licking County
- Licking County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Licking County
Licking County Courthouse and Government Records
Licking County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Licking County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Licking County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Licking County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Licking County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Courthouse Square, Newark 43055-0000
- Phone: (614) 349-6125
- Licking County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 1 North Park Place, Newark, Ohio 43055
- Phone: (740) 670-5624,
- Marriage Records: 1809
- Probate Records: 1875
- Licking County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 20 S. Second St., Third Floor, Newark, Ohio 43055
- Phone: 740-670-5300 or 740-670-5301
- Land Records: 1800
- Licking County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Licking County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Licking County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Licking County genealogy or family history related sites.
Licking Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Licking Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Licking Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Licking Co. OH Census Records
Licking Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Licking Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Licking Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Licking Co. OH General and History Websites
Licking Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Licking Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Licking Co. OH Military Records
AlpineLicking Co. OH Schools & Directories