Lawrence County, Ohio
Lawrence County was created on December 21, 1815 from Gallia County and Scioto County (organized in 1817). This county was named for Captain James Lawrence (1781–1813), naval hero in the War of 1812.
The Lawrence County Seat is located in Ironton also, the county government website is www.lawrencecountyohio.org/ .
Areas bordering to Lawrence County are Jackson County (north), Gallia County (northeast), Cabell County, West Virginia (southeast), Wayne County, West Virginia (south), Boyd County, KY & Greenup County, Kentucky (southwest), Scioto County (northwest).
Cities and towns located in Lawrence County include Ironton, Athalia, Chesapeake, Coal Grove, Hanging Rock, Proctorville, South Point. Other communities include Kitts Hill, Pedro, Rock Camp, Scottown, Waterloo, Willow Wood.
Lawrence County Townships include Aid, Decatur, Elizabeth, Fayette, Hamilton, Lawrence, Mason, Perry, Rome, Symmes, Union, Upper, Washington, Windsor.
Lawrence County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lawrence County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Lawrence County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lawrence Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lawrence Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lawrence Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lawrence County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lawrence County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lawrence County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 1035, Proctorville, OH 45669-1035; Phone: (740) 532-1124; Lawrence County Chapter, OGS meets at the Chesapeake Branch of Briggs Library, 11054 County Rd 1 (old Rt. 52), Chesapeake on the first Tuesday of the month at 6:30pm. Occasionally meetings are rescheduled to correspond with the schedule of program presenters. [NOTE: the Chapter will move its meetings back to Ironton when renovations at the Briggs Library are complete. Contact the Chapter for further details and updates.] This OGS Chapter houses its collection of materials in the Phyllis Hamner Room for Local History and Genealogy in the Briggs Lawrence County Public Library. Included in the collection are microfilm rolls of Lawrence County Census Records and Ironton Area Newspapers; histories of Ironton, Lawrence County, and Ohio; and Ironton City Directories.
- Lawrence County Historical Society, PO Box 73, Ironton, OH 45638-0073; Phone: (740) 532-1222; The Lawrence County Historical Society housed in the 3-1/2 story Gray House, an example of Victorian-Italian Villa architecture. Gray House recreates the lifestyle that existed in Ironton during the heyday of the pig-iron industry.
- Briggs Lawrence County Public Library, Reference Librarian, 321 S 4th St, Ironton, OH 45638-1698; Phone: (740) 867-3080; The Main Branch of the Briggs Lawrence County Public Library contains the Phyllis Hamner Room for Local History and Genealogy. The Hamner Room is also a Family History Center of the library in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Lawrence County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Lawrence County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lawrence County
- Lawrence County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lawrence County
Lawrence County Courthouse and Government Records
Lawrence County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Lawrence County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Lawrence County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Lawrence County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Lawrence County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Veterans Square, Ironton 45638-0000
- Phone: (740) 533-4300 or 1-800-734-2470
- Lawrence County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 740-533-4343
- Marriage Records: 1817
- Probate Records: 1846
- Lawrence County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 111 South 4th Street, Ironton, OH 45638
- Phone: 740-533-4314 or 740-533-4312
- Land Records: 1818
- Lawrence County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740) 533-4300; 1-800-734-2470
- Court Records: 1817
- The Lawrence County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- Lawrence County Health Dept, 2122 S 8th S, Ironton, OH 45638; 740-532-3962
- Ironton City Health Dept, 2120 S 8th S, Ironton, OH 45638; 740-532-2172
Lawrence County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lawrence County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Lawrence County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lawrence Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lawrence Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lawrence Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lawrence Co. OH Census Records
Lawrence Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lawrence Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Lawrence Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lawrence Co. OH General and History Websites
Lawrence Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Lawrence Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lawrence Co. OH Military Records