Lawrence County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Lawrence County, Ohio Facts
When was Lawrence County, OH Created?
Lawrence County was created on December 21, 1815 from Gallia County and Scioto County (organized in 1817). This county was named for Captain James Lawrence (1781–1813), naval hero in the War of 1812.
What is the County Seat of Lawrence County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Ironton also, the county government website is www.lawrencecountyohio.org/ .
What counties are adjacent to Lawrence County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Jackson County (north), Gallia County (northeast), Cabell County, West Virginia (southeast), Wayne County, West Virginia (south), Boyd County, KY & Greenup County, Kentucky (southwest), Scioto County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Lawrence County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Ironton, Athalia, Chesapeake, Coal Grove, Hanging Rock, Proctorville, South Point. Other communities include Kitts Hill, Pedro, Rock Camp, Scottown, Waterloo, Willow Wood.
What townships are in Lawrence County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Aid, Decatur, Elizabeth, Fayette, Hamilton, Lawrence, Mason, Perry, Rome, Symmes, Union, Upper, Washington, Windsor.
Lawrence County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Lawrence County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lawrence County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lawrence County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Lawrence County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- Lawrence County Health Dept, 2122 S 8th S, Ironton, OH 45638; 740-532-3962
- Ironton City Health Dept, 2120 S 8th S, Ironton, OH 45638; 740-532-2172
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Lawrence County, OH Census Records
What Lawrence County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Lawrence County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lawrence Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lawrence Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lawrence Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Lawrence County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Lawrence County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Lawrence County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Lawrence County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Lawrence County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Veterans Square, Ironton 45638-0000
- Phone: (740) 533-4300 or 1-800-734-2470
- Lawrence County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 740-533-4343
- Marriage Records: 1817
- Probate Records: 1846
- Lawrence County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 111 South 4th Street, Ironton, OH 45638
- Phone: 740-533-4314 or 740-533-4312
- Land Records: 1818
- Lawrence County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740) 533-4300; 1-800-734-2470
- Court Records: 1817
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Lawrence County USGenWeb Archives Project
Lawrence County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lawrence County, OH?
A list of Lawrence County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Lawrence County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 1035, Proctorville, OH 45669-1035; Phone: (740) 532-1124; Lawrence County Chapter, OGS meets at the Chesapeake Branch of Briggs Library, 11054 County Rd 1 (old Rt. 52), Chesapeake on the first Tuesday of the month at 6:30pm. Occasionally meetings are rescheduled to correspond with the schedule of program presenters. [NOTE: the Chapter will move its meetings back to Ironton when renovations at the Briggs Library are complete. Contact the Chapter for further details and updates.] This OGS Chapter houses its collection of materials in the Phyllis Hamner Room for Local History and Genealogy in the Briggs Lawrence County Public Library. Included in the collection are microfilm rolls of Lawrence County Census Records and Ironton Area Newspapers; histories of Ironton, Lawrence County, and Ohio; and Ironton City Directories.
- Lawrence County Historical Society, PO Box 73, Ironton, OH 45638-0073; Phone: (740) 532-1222; The Lawrence County Historical Society housed in the 3-1/2 story Gray House, an example of Victorian-Italian Villa architecture. Gray House recreates the lifestyle that existed in Ironton during the heyday of the pig-iron industry.
- Briggs Lawrence County Public Library, Reference Librarian, 321 S 4th St, Ironton, OH 45638-1698; Phone: (740) 867-3080; The Main Branch of the Briggs Lawrence County Public Library contains the Phyllis Hamner Room for Local History and Genealogy. The Hamner Room is also a Family History Center of the library in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Lawrence County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Lawrence County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lawrence County.
Lawrence Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lawrence Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Lawrence Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lawrence Co. OH General and History Websites
Lawrence Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Lawrence Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lawrence Co. OH Military Records