Lake County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Lake County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Lake Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Lake County was created on March 6, 1840 from Cuyahoga County and Geauga County. This county was named as such due to it bordering Lake Erie.
The Lake County Seat is located in Painesville also, the county government website is www.lakecountyohio.org/ .
Areas bordering to Lake County are Ontario, Canada (north), Ashtabula County (east), Geauga County (south and east), Cuyahoga County (south and west) .
Cities and towns located in Lake County include Eastlake, Kirtland, Mentor, Mentor-on-the-Lake, Painesville, Wickliffe, Willoughby, Willoughby Hills, Willowick, Fairport Harbor, Grand River, Kirtland Hills, Lakeline, Madison, North Perry, Perry, Timberlake, Waite Hill. Other communities include Include Painesville-on-the-Lake.
Lake County Townships include Concord, LeRoy, Madison, Painesville, Perry.
Lake County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lake Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lake Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lake Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lake County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lake County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lake County Chapter, OGS, Morley Library, 184 Phelps, Painesville, OH 44077-3927; Phone: (216) 257-3384, Lake County Genealogical Society is now meeting at the new Morley Library lower level meeting room. Meetings are the last Thursday of the month at 10:00 am, except January potluck, July family picnic, occasionally early in November, and no meetings in August and December. This OGS Chapter's holdings, housed at the Morley Library, occupy the Library's Genealogy Department that is staffed by knowledgeable Chapter members who maintain and compile genealogical information. A detailed history of people from the Isle of Man, listing 1,218 names, is available for research.
- Lake County Historical Society, 415 Riverside Dr, Painesville, OH 44079-5321; Phone: (440) 639-2945; The Lake County Historical Center operates an indoor/outdoor museum, Shadybrook that traces the history of Northeast Ohio and Lake County from pre-Columbian times to the present. With an extensive library and archives, the Society is the center of historical research and interpretation in the county.
- Greater Buckeye Lake Historical Society, PO Box 1, Buckeye Lake, OH 43008-0001; Phone: (740) 929-1998; The Greater Buckeye Lake Historical Society places special interest in collecting historical material from all localities in the Buckeye Lake area. The history of the Ohio Canal will be preserved, as well as historical material from the era of the Amusement Park at Buckeye Lake including a refurbished rocket ship.
- Great Lakes Historical Society, PO Box 435, Vermilion, OH 44089-0435; Phone: (800) 893-1485; The Great Lakes Historical Society maintains the Inland Seas Maritime Museum that specialize in ship models, paintings, artifacts, navigational instruments, and exhibits relating to the Great Lakes. Experience all new hands-on, interactive and multi-media displays added in 2001. The Society also maintains the Clarence S. Metcalf Library and Lake Erie Shipwreck Research Center.
- Morley Library, 184 Phelps St, Painesville, OH 44077; 440-352-3383
- Lake Erie Islands Historical Society, PO Box 25, 441 Delaware Ave, Put-in-Bay, OH 43456-0025; Phone: (419) 285-2804; The Lake Erie Islands Historical Society has a 6,000 sq. ft. building, with local history vineyards, wineries, and hostels. The Battle of Lake ship model collection tracing the development of shipping on the Great Lakes from 1600-2000. They also have Interlakes Regatta Assn. Trophies and photos from 1885, a research library, archives, and genealogy data on island families.
- Indian Museum of Lake County, PO Box 883, Willoughby, OH 44096-0883; Phone: (440) 951-3813; The Indian Museum of Lake County is located on the west end of the Lake Erie College campus and displays a collection of prehistoric Indian artifacts, dating from 10,000 B.C. to 1650 A.D., predominantly found in northeastern Ohio. The Museum also has exhibits of North American Indian handcrafts dating from 1800 to the present day.
- Lake Township Historical Society, PO Box 482, Uniontown, OH 44685-0482; Lake Township Historical Society maintains both sites for tours including bus tours. The museum has permanent and movable displays. The school house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The society provides research into Lake Township history, programs such as Fire Side Chats on history related subjects, takes part in local events, maintains an archives of historical related objects and materials, has home and garden tours, special holiday events and provides special programs for Lake Township Schools.
- Lakeside Heritage Society Inc, 324 W 3rd St, Lakeside, OH 43440-1471; Phone: (419) 798-5519; The Lakeside Heritage Society preserves the history of the area. Its archives house books, photographs, maps, documents, pamphlets, and clippings of Lakeside and the Marblehead Peninsula. A collection of artifacts found at the Civil War prison on Johnson's Island is on display.
- Lakewood Historical Society, 14710 Lake Ave, Lakewood, OH 44107-1353; Phone: (216) 221-7343; Housed in an 1838 pioneer home, the Lakewood Historical Society Museum features furniture and artifacts of early Lakewood. The Society also offers free tours and maintains a library/archive.
- Nesmith Lake Historical Society, 475 W Waterloo Rd #5, Akron, OH 44314-3466; Phone: (330) 753-4501;
- Perry Historical Society of Lake County, PO Box 216, Perry, OH 44081-0216; Phone: (440) 259-4541; The Perry Historical Society of Lake County gathers information about Perry and its heritage. The Society's holdings include a genealogical collection. It has initiated a historic house program, and displays exhibits at the Perry Public Library.
- Portage Lakes Historical Society, 3560 Peninsula Dr, Akron, OH 44319-2933; Phone: (330) 644-4547; The Portage Lakes Historical Society has historic boat tours with markers dating back to the early 1800s. There is a stagecoach stop, a mill from around 1817 and maps from 1918 including a map of Portage Lakes Lock 1 to Wolf Creek Lock in Barberton.
- Lake County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Lake County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lake County
- Lake County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lake County
Lake County Courthouse and Government Records
Lake County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Lake County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Lake County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Lake County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Lake County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 47 N. Park Pl., Painesville 44077-0490
- Phone: (440) 350-2657
- Lake County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: ?
- Phone: ?
- Marriage Records: 1840
- Probate Records: 1853
- Lake County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 105 Main Street, Painesville, OH 44077
- Phone: 440-350-2510
- Land Records: 1839
- Lake County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 25 N. Park Pl., Painesville 44077
- Phone: 440-350-2626
- Court Records: 1840
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Lake County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lake County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Lake County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lake Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lake Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lake Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lake Co. OH Census Records
Lake Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lake Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Lake Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lake Co. OH General and History Websites
Lake Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Lake Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lake Co. OH Military Records