Knox County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Knox County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Knox Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Knox County was created on March 1, 1808 from Fairfield County and Franklin County. This county was named for General Henry Knox, the first Secretary of War .
The Knox County Seat is located in Mount Vernon also, the county government website is www.co.knox.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Knox County are Richland County (north), Ashland County (far northeast), Holmes County (northeast), Coshocton County (east), Licking County (south), Delaware County (southwest), Morrow County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Knox County include Mount Vernon, Centerburg, Danville, Fredericktown, Gambier, Gann, Martinsburg, Utica. Other communities include Bladensburg, Howard, Mt. Liberty.
- Knox County Townships include Berlin, Brown, Butler, Clay, Clinton, College, Harrison, Hilliar, Howard, Jackson, Jefferson, Liberty, Middlebury, Milford, Miller, Monroe, Morgan, Morris, Pike, Pleasant, Union, Wayne.
Knox County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Knox Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Knox Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Knox Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Knox County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Knox County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Knox County Records Center, 117 East High Street, Suite B147, Mt. Vernon, OH 43050; 740 393-6781
- Knox County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 1098, Mt. Vernon, OH 43050-1098; Knox County Chapter, OGS meets the third Monday of each month at 7:30 pm at Faith Lutheran Church, 170 Mansfield Ave., Mount Vernon, OH. This OGS Chapter has the U.S. International Genealogical Index (Mormon) on microfiche and has published volumes containing Knox County cemetery lists, Knox County Death Records (1867-1908), Knox County Marriage Records (1808-1875), Knox County Birth Records (1867-1908), and approximately fifty family histories are available at the Library.
- Knox County Historical Society, PO Box 522, Mount Vernon, OH 43050-0522; Phone: (740) 397-3503; From the distant past to recent times, The Knox County Historical Society tells the story of Knox County's rich 200-year history. Major exhibits feature the development of our telephone and postal services, The Cooper-Bessemer Co., The Mount Vernon Bridge Co., "Dixie" author Dan Emmett, comedian Paul Lynde, legendary figure Johnny Appleseed, and our educational, religious, military, business and social heritage.
- New Knoxville Historical Society, 09350 Bay Rd, New Knoxville, OH 45871-9634; Phone: (740) 872-3143; The New Knoxville Historical Society maintains an early 100-year-old frame house and summer kitchen, once belonging to Dr. Fledderjohann, the village doctor. The Museum houses memorabilia and artifacts from the village and the surrounding area. An old barn and log smoke house have been added.
- Knox County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Knox County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Knox County
- Knox County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Knox County
Knox County Courthouse and Government Records
Knox County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Knox County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Knox County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Knox County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Knox County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 106 E. High St., Mt. Vernon 43050-3453
- Phone: (740) 397-2727
- Knox County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 111 East High Street, First Floor, Mt. Vernon, OH 43050
- Phone: (740) 393-6798 or (740) 393-6797
- Marriage Records: 1808
- Probate Records: 1808
- Knox County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 117 E. High St, Suite 114, Mt. Vernon, OH 43050
- Phone: (740) 393-6755
- Land Records: 1808
- Knox County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Court Records: 1808
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Knox County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Knox County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Knox County genealogy or family history related sites.
Knox Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Knox Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Knox Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Knox Co. OH Census Records
Knox Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Knox Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Knox Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Knox Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Knox County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- History of north central Ohio : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Knox County, Ohio : its past and present, containing a condensed, comprehensive history of Ohio, including an outlin (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of Knox County, Ohio (search.ancestry.com)
- Knox County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Knox County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Knox Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Knox County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Knox County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Knox (cyndislist.com)
- Knox Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Knox County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Knox Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Knox Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Knox Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Knox Co. OH Military Records