Huron County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Huron County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Huron Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Huron County was created on March 7, 1809 from Portage County and Geauga County (Organized in 1815) . This county was named for the Huron Indians .
The Huron County Seat is located in Norwalk also, the county government website is www.hccommissioners.com/ .
Areas bordering to Huron County are Erie County (north), Lorain County (east), Ashland County (southeast), Richland County (south), Crawford County (southwest), Seneca County (west), Sandusky County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Huron County include Bellevue, Norwalk, Willard, Greenwich, Milan, Monroeville, New London, North Fairfield, Plymouth, Wakeman. Other communities include Clarksfield, Collins, New Haven, Steuben .
Huron County Townships include Bronson, Clarksfield, Fairfield, Fitchville, Greenfield, Greenwich, Hartland, Lyme, New Haven, New London, Norwalk, Norwich, Peru, Richmond, Ridgefield, Ripley, Sherman, Townsend, Wakeman.
Huron County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Huron Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Huron Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Huron Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Huron County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Huron County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Huron County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 923, Norwalk, OH 44857-0923; Huron County Chapter, OGS meets at 7:30pm at the Norwalk Services for Aging, Norwalk, OH on the fourth Monday of each month, except December when the Chapter does not meet. This OGS Chapter publishes a quarterly newsletter and provides a beginning genealogy class annually. Meetings on the fourth Monday of each month are at 7:30 p.m. at the Senior Center, Shady Lane Drive, Norwalk. Meeting room is handicapped accessible.
- Bellevue Historical Society & Heritage Museum, PO Box 304, Bellevue, OH 44811-0304; Phone: (419) 483-5727; The Bellevue Heritage Museum preserves historical items pertaining to Bellevue's past. Its holdings include photographs of Bellevue residents and visitors, local advertising items, articles manufactured in Bellevue, and tools, toys, and household implements used in Bellevue.
- Firelands Historical Society, PO Box 572, Norwalk, OH 44857-0572; Phone: (419) 668-6038; The Firelands Historical Society operates a museum with exhibits focusing on the history of the "Firelands" of Ohio. The genealogy research library is housed in an adjacent building.
- Milan Canal Historical Society , 5345 Plank Rd, Norwalk, OH 44857; Phone: (419) 499-2077; The Milan Canal Historical Society researches the history of the Milan Canal (1831-1865). It has acquired a ship's logbooks and warehouse ledgers. The Society gives lectures to local clubs on the history of the canal, and two models of warehouses have been made for demonstrations.
- New London Area Historical Society , 169 E Main St, New London, OH 44851-1253; Phone: (419) 929-3441; The New London Area Historical Society operates within the New London, Ruggles, Fitchville, Clarksfield, and Rochester Township areas. The Society's collection may be viewed at the Historical Center.
- North Fairfield Firelands Historical Association, PO Box 102, North Fairfield, OH 44855-0102; Phone: (419) 668-4006
- Willard Area Historical Society , PO Box 34, Willard, OH 44890-0034; Phone: (419) 935-2585; The Willard Area Historical Society has railroad artifacts, a caboose, boxcar, baggage trucks, motorcar, and railroad signs.
- Huron County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Huron County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Huron County
- Huron County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Huron County
Huron County Courthouse and Government Records
Huron County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Huron County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Huron County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Huron County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Huron County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2 E. Main St., Norwalk 44857-0000
- Phone: (614) 668-3092
- Huron County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: ?
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1815
- Birth / Death Records: 1867-1908 For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- Huron County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 12 E Main Street, Norwalk, OH 44857
- Phone: 419-668-1916
- Land Records: 1809
- Huron County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 419-668-6162
- Court Records: 1818
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Huron County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Huron County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Huron County genealogy or family history related sites.
Huron Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Huron Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Huron Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Huron Co. OH Census Records
Huron Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Huron Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Huron Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Huron Co. OH General and History Websites
Huron Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Huron Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Huron Co. OH Military Records
Huron Co., OH Schools & Directories