Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Hancock County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Hancock Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Hancock County was created on April 1, 1820 from Logan County, Delaware County and Wood County (Organized in 1828). This county was named for John Hancock (1737-1793), president of the Continental Congress.
The Hancock County Seat is located in Findlay also, the county government website is www.co.hancock.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Hancock County are Wood County (north), Seneca County (northeast), Wyandot County (southeast), Hardin County (south), Allen County (southwest), Putnam County (west), Henry County (northwest corner) .
Cities and towns located in Hancock County include Findlay, Fostoria, Arcadia, Arlington, Benton Ridge, Jenera, McComb, Mount Blanchard, Mount Cory, Rawson, Van Buren, Vanlue. Other communities include Mortimer, Williamstown .
Hancock County Townships include Allen, Amanda, Biglick, Blanchard, Cass, Delaware, Eagle, Jackson, Liberty, Madison, Marion, Orange, Pleasant, Portage, Union, Van Buren, Washington.
Hancock County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hancock Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hancock Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hancock Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Hancock County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hancock County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hancock County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 672, Findlay, OH 45839-0672; meets in the Meeting Room of the Findlay-Hancock County Public Library on the third Tuesday of each month at 6:30pm (except July, August, and December).
- Eagle Creek Historical Organization , PO Box 143, Arlington, OH 45814-0143; Phone: (419) 365-5418; Eagle Creek Historical Organization identities and preserves historical artifacts and memorabilia relating, but not limited to, the Eagle Creek Watershed Area and southern Hancock County. Their goal is to educate the public about the local heritage and history with monthly programs and a quarterly newsletter.
- Forest Area Historical Society , PO Box 710, Arlington, OH 45814-0710; Phone: (419) 273-2354; The Forest Area Historical Society's purpose is to preserve the history of the Forest Area that includes Jackson Township in Hardin and Wyandot counties and the southern tip of Hancock County, which includes the villages of Forest and Patterson.
- Hancock Historical Museum Association, 422 W Sandusky St, Findlay, OH 45840-3222; Phone: (419) 423-4433; The Hancock Historical Museum Association's collections are housed in an 1880s home built during the gas boom era and an exhibit center addition on the back. Other parts of the museum complex show pioneer life, military and industrial history (including Findlay Glass), a red brick country schoolhouse, and a miniature train that can be ridden.
- Hancock County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Hancock County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hancock County
- Hancock County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hancock County
Hancock County Courthouse and Government Records
Hancock County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Hancock County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Hancock County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hancock county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Some records in Wood County for 1820-1828.
- Hancock County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 300 S. Main St., Findlay 45840-9039
- Phone: (419) 424-7037
- Hancock County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 308 Dorney Plaza, Findlay OH 45840 3302
- Phone: 419-424-7081
- Marriage Records: 1828
- Probate Records: 1828
- Hancock County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-424-7091
- Land Records: 1820
- Hancock County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 419-424-7037
- Court Records: 1828
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Hancock County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hancock County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Hancock County genealogy or family history related sites.
Hancock Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hancock Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hancock Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hancock Co. OH Census Records
Hancock Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hancock Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Hancock Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hancock Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Hancock County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- History of Hancock County, Ohio : containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, villages, schools, churches, indust (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Hancock County (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Hancock County, Ohio : geographical and statistical (search.ancestry.com)
- Hancock County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Hancock County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Hancock Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Hancock County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Hancock County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Hancock (cyndislist.com)
- Hancock Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Hancock County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Hancock Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Hancock Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Hancock Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hancock Co. OH Military Records