Hamilton County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Hamilton County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Hamilton Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
- Government Website:
- Created Date / Origin:
- County Seat:
- Named After:
- Bordering Counties:
- Municipalities Include
Hamilton County was created on January 2, 1790 as an Original County. This county was named for Alexander Hamilton (1755/7-1804), Secretary of the Treasury when the county was organized .
The Hamilton County Seat is located in Cincinnati also, the county government website is hamilton-co.org/ .
Areas bordering to Hamilton County are Butler County (north), Warren County (northeast), Clermont County (east), Boone County, Kentucky (southwest), Kenton County, Kentucky (south), Campbell County, Kentucky (southeast), Dearborn County, Indiana (west)
Cities and towns located in Hamilton County include Blue Ash, Cheviot, Cincinnati, Deer Park, Forest Park, Harrison, Indian Hill, Loveland, Madeira, Milford, Montgomery, Mount Healthy, North College Hill, Norwood, Reading, Sharonville, Silverton, Springdale, St. Bernard, Wyoming, Addyston, Amberley Village, Arlington Heights, Cleves, Elmwood Place, Evendale, Fairfax, Glendale, Golf Manor, Greenhills, Lincoln Heights, Lockland, Mariemont, Newtown, North Bend, Terrace Park, Woodlawn. Other communities include Camp Dennison, Hooven, Miamitown, Mount Saint Joseph.
Hamilton County Townships include Anderson, Colerain, Columbia, Crosby, Delhi, Green, Harrison, Miami, Springfield, Sycamore, Symmes, Whitewater.
Hamilton County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hamilton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hamilton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hamilton Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Hamilton County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hamilton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hamilton County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 15865, Cincinnati, OH 45215-0865; meets at various times and places in September through November and January through May. Special Interest Groups: African-American, Computer, German, and Irish. This OGS Chapter provides programs, periodicals, newsletters, and books to assist individuals doing genealogical research on Hamilton County ancestors and educational programs to help develop individual research skills. Chapter Lineage Recognition groups, first families of Hamilton County, and Irish and German recognition programs. Four special interest groups: African American, Computer, Irish and German.
- Indian Hill Historical Society, 8100 Given Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45243-1520; Phone: (513) 891-1873; The Indian Hill Historical Society records and houses the area's local history and provides educational programs for the community. Two historic sites are maintained: The Little Red Schoolhouse (Washington School 1873) and Buckingham Lodge (c. 1860).
- Green Township Historical Association , 3973 Grace Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45211-3316; Phone: (513) 574-9909; The Green Township Historical Association was formed to explore and preserve the story of Green Township and the thousands of people who have called it home over the years.
- Greenhills Historical Society, 87 Burley Cir, Greenhills, OH 45218-1315
- Historic Southwest Ohio Inc , PO Box 62475; Cincinnati, OH 45262-0475; Phone: (513) 563-9484; An educational institution, Historic Southwest Ohio promotes understanding of and appreciation for the culture of 19th century Ohio through the operation of professionally administered museum sites. It collects, preserves, researches and interprets buildings from throughout Ohio and the people who resided in them.
- Lockland Historical Society , 315 Mill St, Lockland, OH 45215-4616; Phone: (513) 761-5526
- Madeira Historical Society , 5776 Kenwood Rd, Madeira, OH 45243-2946; Phone: (513) 561-6132;The Madeira Historical Society's collections include photographs and historical artifacts that relay the history of Madeira. They have been bequeathed an historic home to house a museum and are gradually preparing a museum.
- Hamilton County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Hamilton County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hamilton County
- Hamilton County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hamilton County
Hamilton County Courthouse and Government Records
Hamilton County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Hamilton County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Hamilton County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hamilton county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Courthouse destroyed by fire in 1802, 1813, 1849 and 1884, Some records destroyed.
- Hamilton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1000 Main St., Cincinnati 45202-1206
- Phone: (513) 632-6500
- Hamilton County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 230 East Ninth Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
- Phone: 513-946-3600
- Marriage Records: 1808
- Probate Records: 1790
- Naturalization Records: 1864 - 1884
- Hamilton County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: County Administration Building, 138 East Court Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202
- Phone: 513.946.4561
- Land Records: 1787
- Hamilton County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 513-946-5656
- Court Records: 1844
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Hamilton County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hamilton County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Hamilton County genealogy or family history related sites.
Hamilton Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hamilton Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hamilton Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hamilton Co. OH Census Records
Hamilton Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hamilton Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Hamilton Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hamilton Co. OH General and History Websites
Hamilton Co., OH Immigration & Naturalization
Hamilton Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hamilton Co. OH Military Records
AlpineHamilton Co. OH Schools & Directories