Guernsey County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Guernsey County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Guernsey Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Guernsey County was created on March 1, 1810 from Belmont County and Muskingum County. This county was named for the Island of Guernsey, from where most of the settlers originated .
The Guernsey County Seat is located in Cambridge also, the county government website is www.guernseycounty.org/ .
Areas bordering to Guernsey County are Tuscarawas County (north), Harrison County (northeast), Belmont County (east), Noble County (south), Muskingum County (west), Coshocton County (northwest).
Cities and towns located in Guernsey County include Cambridge, Byesville, Cumberland, Fairview, Kimbolton, Lore City, Old Washington, Pleasant City, Quaker City, Salesville, Senecaville. Other communities include Buffalo, Derwent, Kipling .
Guernsey County Townships include Adams, Cambridge, Center, Jackson, Jefferson, Knox, Liberty, Londonderry, Madison, Millwood, Monroe, Oxford, Richland, Spencer, Valley, Washington, Westland, Wheeling, Wills.
Guernsey County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Guernsey Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Guernsey Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Guernsey Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Guernsey County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Guernsey County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Guernsey County Chapter, OGS, P.O. Box 661, 125 N. 7th St., Cambridge, OH 43725-0661, Guernsey County Chapter, OGS meets at the Guernsey County Genealogical Society Office at 7:00pm on the first Monday of each month. This OGS Chapter operates a resource group that maintains lineage information named the "First Families of Guernsey County by 1830" and pioneer families by 1850.
- Byesville Historical Society, 236 E Main Ave, Byesville, OH 43723-1208; Phone: (740) 685-2812; The Byesville Historical Society's Museum is located on the first floor of the circa 1900 Old Bank Building. The Society collects and preserves materials and landmarks in order to arouse interest in the historical records of the founding and development of the Village of Byesville.
- Guernsey County Historical Society, PO Box 741, Cambridge, OH 43725-0741; Phone: (740) 439-5884; The 160-year-old, 15-room museum, former home of the William McFarland family, contains county families' memorabilia and features a Victorian parlor, dining room and kitchen, the Guernsey County Hall of Fame, and a military room and farm rooms. Cal Rice, curator, does a drama portrayal of "Fighting Bill Reed" who fought in Perry's Victory, The Battle of Lake Erie, War of 1812, following group tours.
- Guernsey County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Guernsey County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Guernsey County
- Guernsey County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Guernsey County
Guernsey County Courthouse and Government Records
Guernsey County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Guernsey County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Guernsey County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Guernsey County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Guernsey County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 801 E. Wheeling Ave., Cambridge 43725-0000
- Phone: (740) 432-9200
- Guernsey County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 740-432-9262
- Marriage Records: 1810
- Probate Records: 1812
- Guernsey County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 627 Wheeling Ave Ste 305, Cambridge, OH 43725
- Phone: 740-432-9275
- Land Records: 1802
- Guernsey County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740) 432-9252
- Court Records: 1810
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Guernsey County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Guernsey County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Guernsey County genealogy or family history related sites.
Guernsey Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Guernsey Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Guernsey Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Guernsey Co. OH Census Records
Guernsey Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Guernsey Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Guernsey Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Guernsey Co. OH General and History Websites
Guernsey Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Guernsey Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Guernsey Co. OH Military Records