Geauga County, Ohio
Geauga County was created on March 1, 1806 from Trumbull County. This county was named for the Native American word meaning "raccoon" .
The Geauga County Seat is located in Chardon also, the county government website is www.co.geauga.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Geauga County are Lake County (north), Ashtabula County (northeast), Trumbull County (southeast), Portage County (south), Cuyahoga County (west), Summit County (southwest corner) .
Cities and towns located in Geauga County include Chardon, Aquilla, Burton, Hunting Valley, Middlefield, South Russell. Other communities include East Claridon, Montville, Parkman, Bainbridge, Chesterland.
Geauga County Townships include Auburn, Bainbridge, Burton, Chardon, Chester, Claridon, Hambden, Huntsburg, Middlefield, Montville, Munson, Newbury, Parkman, Russell, Thompson, Troy.
Geauga County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Geauga County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Geauga County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Geauga Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Geauga Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Geauga Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Geauga County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Geauga County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio (raogk.org)
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Geauga County Chapter, OGS, 110 E. Park St., Chardon, OH 44024-1213; Phone: (440) 285-7601 ; The Anderson Allyn Room for Genealogical Research at Chardon Library is open to the public. The Library collection focuses on genealogy, local history, and oral history of Geauga County with a supporting collection of how-to books and materials for neighboring areas.
- Geauga County Historical Society, 14653 E Park St, Burton, OH 44021-0153; Phone: (440) 834-1492; The Geauga County Historical Society operates the restored 19th Century Village in Burton with 23 historic buildings and 5 furnished homes. The Village also includes a gallery with 9,000 toy soldiers, a country store, and a research library. The Society holds 13 festivals annually at Century Village.
- Archives and Records Center, 470 Center Street, Building #8, Chardon, Ohio 44024;(440) 285-2222 ext. 6277, Fax: (440) 285-8207
- Chesterland Historical Foundation Inc, PO Box 513, Chesterland, OH 44026-0513; Phone: (440) 729-7768; The Chesterland Historical Foundation maintains several historical structures open to the public including a restored 1842 house, an 1847 school, an 1850 Town Hall, and an early 20th century interurban station. The Town Hall houses a small collection of local artifacts. The Foundation's newest acquisition is a turn-of-the-century barn, also open to the public.
- Mesopotamia Historical & Memorial Association, PO Box 54, Mesopotamia, OH 44439-0054; Phone: (440) 693-4304
- Middlefield Historical Society, PO Box 1100, Middlefield, OH 44062-1100; Phone: (440) 632-1283; The Middlefield Historical Society collects, preserves and disseminates Middlefield history and artifacts. The Depot Soda Fountain, open from May-September, is a repository for much railroad memorabilia, together with a model train display in the basement. The caboose once plied the section of track that ran through the center of Middlefield. They are attempting to establish displays and definite hours to be open to the public. In the meantime, call for an appointment.
- Russell Township Historical Society, 14344 Caves Rd, Novelty, OH 44072-9503; Phone: (440) 338-3984; The Russell Historical Society preserves historical sites, documents, and articles of historical significance pertaining to the history of Geauga County and Russell Township.
- Geauga County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Geauga County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Geauga County
- Geauga County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Geauga County
Geauga County Courthouse and Government Records
Geauga County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Geauga County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Geauga County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Geauga County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Geauga County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Chardon 44024
- Phone: (440) 285-2222
- Geauga County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 231 Main Street Ste 200, Chardon, Ohio 44024
- Phone: 440-279-1830
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1806
- Geauga County Recorder
- Address: Courthouse Annex, 231 Main Street, Suite 1-C, Chardon, Ohio 44024-1299
- Phone: (440) 285-2222, 564-7131, 834-1856, Extension 2020
- Land Records: 1795
- Geauga County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Address: 100 Short Court Street, Chardon, Ohio 44024
- Phone: 440-279-1960
- Court Records: 1806
- The Geauga County Health Department
Geauga County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Geauga County.
Geauga Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Geauga Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Geauga Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Geauga Co. OH Census Records
Geauga Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Geauga Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Geauga Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Geauga Co. OH General and History Websites
Geauga Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Geauga Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Geauga Co. OH Military Records