Fayette County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Fayette County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Fayette Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Fayette County was created on March 1, 1810 from Highland County and Ross County. This county was named for Marquis de Lafayette, French military officer and aristocrat who participated in both the American and French revolutions. .
The Fayette County Seat is located in Washington Court House also, the county government website is www.fayette-co-oh.com/ .
Areas bordering to Fayette County are Madison County (north), Pickaway County (northeast), Ross County (southeast), Highland County (south), Clinton County (southwest), Greene County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Fayette County include Washington Court House, Bloomingburg, Jeffersonville, Milledgeville, New Holland, Octa. Other communities include Include Good Hope .
Fayette County Townships include Concord, Green, Jasper, Jefferson, Madison, Marion, Paint, Perry, Union, Wayne.
Fayette County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Fayette Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fayette Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fayette Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Fayette County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Fayette County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Fayette County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 342, Washington Court House, OH 43160-0342; meets at the Carnegie Public Library Meeting Room, 107 S. North St., (corner of S. North and East Streets), Washington Court House; the third Monday of each month, 7:00pm-9:00pm, unless otherwise announced. Meetings are September through May, Special Tour during the summer (i.e., old houses, cemeteries or Workshop.) The Fayette County Genealogy Society houses its holdings in the Genealogical Room at the Carnegie Public Library located at 127 South North Street in Washington Court House. The Room is open for the public during the library's operating hours.
- Fayette County Historical Society, 517 Columbus Ave, Washington C H, OH 43160-1427; Phone: (740) 335-2953; The Fayette County Historical Society maintains an 1875 Victorian residence as its museum. The Museum features fourteen rooms of locally made furniture, historical artifacts, and clothing. Audio-visual programs featuring aspects of Fayette County heritage are available.
- Carnegie Public Library,
127 S North St. ,
Washington Court House, OH 43160;
- Fayette County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Fayette County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Fayette County
- Fayette County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fayette County
Fayette County Courthouse and Government Records
Fayette County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Fayette County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Fayette County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Fayette County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Fayette County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 110 E. Court, Washington Court House, 43160-1395
- Phone: (740) 335-0720
- Fayette County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 1-(740)-335-0640
- Marriage Records: 1810
- Probate Records: 1810
- Fayette County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 133 S. Main Street, Suite 305, Washington Court House, Ohio 43160
- Phone: 1-(740)-335-1770
- Land Records: 1810
- Fayette County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 1-(740)-335-4750
- Court Records: 1882
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Fayette County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Fayette County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Fayette County genealogy or family history related sites.
Fayette Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fayette Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Fayette Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fayette Co. OH Census Records
Fayette Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Fayette Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Fayette Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fayette Co. OH General and History Websites
Fayette Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Fayette Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fayette Co. OH Military Records