Fairfield County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Fairfield County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Fairfield Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Fairfield County was created on December 9, 1800 from Ross County and Washington County. This county was named for the beauty of its "fair fields" .
The Fairfield County Seat is located in Lancaster also, the county government website is www.co.fairfield.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Fairfield County are Licking County (north), Perry County (east), Hocking County (south), Pickaway County (southwest), Franklin County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Fairfield County include Columbus, Lancaster, Pickerington, Reynoldsburg, Amanda, Baltimore, Bremen, Buckeye Lake, Canal Winchester, Carroll, Lithopolis, Millersport, Pleasantville, Rushville, Stoutsville, Sugar Grove, Thurston, West Rushville. Other communities include Include Royalton.
Fairfield County Townships Include Amanda, Berne, Bloom, Clearcreek, Greenfield, Hocking, Liberty, Madison, Pleasant, Richland, Rush Creek, Violet, Walnut.
Fairfield County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Fairfield Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fairfield Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fairfield Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Fairfield County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Fairfield County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Fairfield County Chapter, OGS, New Address:, 503 Lenwood Dr., Lancaster, OH 43130; Fairfield County Chapter, OGS meets the third Thursday of each month at 7:00pm at the Fairfield County Genealogical Library, 503 Lenwood Drive, Lancaster, OH.
- Bremen Area Historical Society, 6845 Marietta Rd SE, Lancaster, OH 43130-9413; Phone: (740) 569-7691; The Bremen Area Historical Society is an outgrowth of the 1984 Sesquicentennial celebration of the Village of Bremen. They have built a new building that serves as a community-meeting center and will eventually house the local history museum. The museum portion of the building is yet to be completed on the inside.
- Carroll Area Historical Society, PO Box 185, Carroll, OH 43112-0185; Phone: (740) 756-7943
- Lancaster Campground Historical Society, 2151 W Fair Ave #113, Lancaster, OH 43130-7859; Phone: (740) 653-2119; The Lancaster Campground Historical Society exhibits displays of different kinds of summertime religious camp meetings. It includes the Heritage House that was the first building on the campground, a Grocery Store Museum filled with antiques, Hotel Woodside which has been restored to include a pastor's study, Curt & Charlotte Davis' room, and the Seifert Museum. Also the Davis Auditorium that was built in 1895 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Pickerington-Violet Township Historical Society, PO Box 732, Pickerington, OH 43147-0732; Phone: (614) 837-2119; The Pickerington-Violet Township Historical Society operates the former Carnegie Library building as it museum.
- Sons of the American Revolution-Ohio Society, 13824 Carriage Ln, Pickerington, OH 43147-8857; The Sons of the American Revolution, an educational, historical, and patriotic organization, perpetuates the memory of those who served the nation in the American Revolution and promotes fellowship among their descendants.
- Fairfield County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Fairfield County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Fairfield County
- Fairfield County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fairfield County
Fairfield County Courthouse and Government Records
Fairfield County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Fairfield County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Fairfield County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Fairfield County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Fairfield County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 224 East Main Street, Lancaster Ohio, 43130
- Phone: (740) 687-7190
- Fairfield County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 740.652.7464
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1803
- Fairfield County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 210 E Main Street Room 205
Lancaster, Ohio 43130
- Phone: 740-652-7100
- Land Records: 1801
- Fairfield County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740) 652-7421
- Court Records: 1801
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Fairfield County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Fairfield County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Fairfield County genealogy or family history related sites.
Fairfield Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fairfield Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Fairfield Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fairfield Co. OH Census Records
Fairfield Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Fairfield Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Fairfield Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fairfield Co. OH General and History Websites
Fairfield Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Fairfield Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fairfield Co. OH Military Records