Delaware County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Delaware County, Ohio Facts
When was Delaware County, OH Created?
Delaware County was created on April 1, 1808 from Franklin County . This county was named for the Delaware Indians .
What is the County Seat of Delaware County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Delaware also, the county government website is www.co.delaware.oh.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Delaware County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Morrow County (north), Knox County (northeast), Licking County (east), Franklin County (south), Union County (west), Marion County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Delaware County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Columbus, Delaware, Dublin, Powell, Westerville, Ashley, Galena, Ostrander, Shawnee Hills, Sunbury. Other communities include Kilbourne, Lewis Center, Radnor.
What townships are in Delaware County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Berkshire, Berlin, Brown, Concord, Delaware, Genoa, Harlem, Kingston, Liberty, Marlboro, Orange, Oxford, Porter, Radnor, Scioto, Thompson, Trenton, Troy.
Delaware County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Delaware County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Delaware County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Delaware County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Delaware County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Delaware County, OH Census Records
What Delaware County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Delaware County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Delaware Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delaware Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delaware Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Delaware County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Delaware County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Delaware County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Delaware County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Delaware County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 91 N. Sandusky, Delaware 43015-1703
- Phone: (740) 369-8761
- Delaware County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 740-833-2680
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Probate Records: 1812
- Delaware County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 140 N Sandusky St, Delaware, OH 43015
- Phone: (740) 833-2460.
- Land Records: 1807
- Delaware County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 740-833-2500
- Court Records: 1818
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Delaware County USGenWeb Archives Project
Delaware County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Delaware County, OH?
A list of Delaware County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Delaware County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 1126, Delaware, OH 43015-8126, Phone: (740) 369-3831 ; meets at the Delaware County Historical Society, 157 E. William St., Delaware, usually on the first Tuesday, September through June, at 7:30 p.m.; exceptions occur in any month that public elections occur on the first Tuesday. The Delaware County Chapter genealogy library is located in the Annex of the Nash House Museum. They are open mid-March through mid-November on Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday from 2-4:30 and Thursday 10-4:30. Those who need other times to accommodate them may call for an appointment.
- Delaware County Historical Society, PO Box 317, Delaware, OH 43015-0317; Phone: (740) 369-3831; The Delaware County Historical Society maintains the circa 1880 Nash House Museum. The Museum's annex contains additional exhibits and a local and family history library. Its genealogy research library is among one of the best in the state of Ohio.
- Archives of Ohio United Methodism, Beeghly Library, 43 Rowland Ave, Delaware, OH 43015-2370; Phone: (740) 368-3285; The Archives of Ohio United Methodist holds a collection of books, manuscripts, photographs, and memorabilia that documents the history of the East and West Ohio Conferences of the United Methodist Church and their antecedents. Materials date from 1800 to the present.
- Big Walnut Area Historical Society, PO Box 616, Sunbury, OH 43074-0616; The Big Walnut Area Historical Society is in the process of renovating the Myers Inn for a future museum of the 1820s with a goal of being open for the State's 200th anniversary.
- Powell Liberty Historical Society, 103 E Olentangy Dr, Powell, OH 43065-5051; Phone: (614) 848-6210; The Powell Liberty Historical Society operates out of the restored 1889 Martin-Perry Homestead. Furnished in period antiques, the museum includes a small library/research room, exhibit room, with changing displays, a meeting room and Victorian gardens. Monthly adult programs and open houses are offered as well as specially dated children's programs.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Delaware County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Delaware County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Delaware County.
Delaware Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Delaware Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Delaware Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Delaware Co. OH General and History Websites
Delaware Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Delaware Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Delaware Co. OH Military Records