Cuyahoga County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Facts
When was Cuyahoga County, OH Created?
Cuyahoga County was created on June 7, 1807 from Geauga County . This county was named for Cuyahoga River, which means "crooked river" in an Iroquoian language.
What is the County Seat of Cuyahoga County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Cleveland also, the county government website is www.cuyahogacounty.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Cuyahoga County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Ontario, Canada (north), Lake County (northeast), Geauga County (east), Summit County (southeast), Medina County (southwest), Lorain County (west), Portage County (southeast corner) .
What cities and towns are in Cuyahoga County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bay Village, Beachwood, Bedford, Bedford Heights, Berea, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, Brook Park, Brooklyn, Cleveland, Cleveland Heights, East Cleveland, Euclid, Fairview Park, Garfield Heights, Highland Heights, Independence, Lakewood, Lyndhurst, Maple Heights, Mayfield Heights, Middleburg Heights, North Olmsted, North Royalton, Olmsted Falls, Parma, Parma Heights, Pepper Pike, Richmond Heights, Rocky River, Seven Hills, Shaker Heights, Solon, South Euclid, Strongsville, University Heights, Warrensville Heights, Westlake, Bentleyville, Bratenahl, Brooklyn Heights, Chagrin Falls, Cuyahoga Heights, Gates Mills, Glenwillow, Highland Hills, Hunting Valley, Linndale, Mayfield, Moreland Hills, Newburgh Heights, North Randall, Oakwood, Orange, Valley View, Walton Hills, Woodmere. .
What townships are in Cuyahoga County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Chagrin Falls, Olmsted, Paper townships .
Cuyahoga County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Cuyahoga County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Cuyahoga County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Cuyahoga County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Cuyahoga County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio, Marriage Records and Indexes, 1941-1973
- US, Ohio, Cuyahoga County, Jewish Marriage Record Extracts, 1837-1934
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Cuyahoga County, OH Census Records
What Cuyahoga County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Cuyahoga County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cuyahoga Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cuyahoga Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cuyahoga Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Cuyahoga County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Cuyahoga County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Cuyahoga County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Cuyahoga County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Cuyahoga County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1219 Ontario St., Cleveland 44113-1603
- Phone: (216) 443-7955
- Cuyahoga County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 1 Lakeside Avenue West, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
- Phone: (216) 443-8764 or (216) 443-8765
- Marriage Records: 1810
- Probate Records: 1811
- Cuyahoga County Recorder/ Fiscal Office
- Phone: 216.443.7010
- Land Records: 1810
- Cuyahoga County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 1200 Ontario Street Justice Center 11th Floor, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
- Phone: (216) 443-8560
- Court Records: 1823
- Cuyahoga County Probate Court Death Records Index 1867-1890 & Coroner Files Index 1833-1900
- Cuyahoga County Probate Court Search Page
- Ordinances of the city of Cleveland
- An Act to amend An act to provide for the organization of cities and incorporated villages (search.ancestry.com)
- Charters of the village of Cleveland, and the city of Cleveland : with their several amendments, to which are added the laws an
- Cuyahoga County 1852 landownership map index
- Laws and ordinances of a general and local nature, for the government of the city of Cleveland
- Ohio, Cuyahoga County Probate Files, 1813-1917
- Ohio, Cuyahoga County Records, 1880-1950
- Cuyahoga Co. Land Records
- Cuyahoga Co. Court Records
- Cuyahoga Co. Wills
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Cuyahoga County USGenWeb Archives Project
Cuyahoga County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Cuyahoga County, OH?
A list of Cuyahoga County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Cuyahoga Valley Chapter, OGS, PO Box 41414, Brecksville, OH 44141-0414; meets at the Independence Civic Center, 6363 Selig Blvd., Independence, OH at 7:30pm on the first Monday each month, with exception of January and September. No meetings July or August.
- Cuyahoga West Chapter, OGS, PO Box 26196, Fairview Park, OH 44126-0196, Cuyahoga West Chapter, OGS meets at the Porter Public Library, 27333 Center Ridge Rd., Westlake, on the third Wednesday of each month, at 7:00pm, with social time from 6:30-7:00. This OGS Chapter educates, preserves, and assists in genealogical research.
- Cuyahoga County Archives, 2905 Franklin Blvd NW, Cleveland 44113; (216) 443-7250
- East Cuyahoga Chapter, OGS, PO Box 24182, Lyndhurst, OH 44124-0182, East Cuyahoga Chapter, OGS meets on the first Monday of the month but not in months where there is an election. Meeting location is the Ross C. DeJohn Community Center, 6306 Marsol Drive, Mayfield Heights, OH. Meeting time is 7:30pm.
- Hudson Genealogical Study Group, Hudson Library and Historical Society, 96 Library St. Dept G, Hudson, OH 44236; Hudson Genealogical Study Group meets at 9:30am at the Hudson Library and Historical Society, 96 Library St., Hudson, OH on the second, third, and fourth Saturdays of each month.
- Southwest Cuyahoga County Chapter, OGS, 13305 Pearl Rd., Strongville, Oh 44136; meets at the Strongsville Old Town Hall, 18825 Royalton Rd. at 7:30pm on the second Thursday in January, February, March, April, May, September, October, November, and December. This OGS Chapter is one of the six chapters of the Ohio Genealogical Society located in Cuyahoga. The Cuyahoga Southwest Chapter is located on the Cuyahoga and Medina County Lines. The Chapters holdings are housed at the Strongsville Historical Village.
- Greater Cleveland Chapter, OGS, PO Box 40254, Cleveland, OH 44140-0254; meets at the Fairview Park Regional Library, 4449 W. 213th St., Fairview Park on the third Monday at 7:00pm of each month, except July and December.
- Western Reserve Historical Society Library and Archives, 10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio, 44106; 216-721-5722 x 224, FAX 216-721-5702
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Cuyahoga County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Cuyahoga County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Cuyahoga County.
Cuyahoga Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cuyahoga Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Cuyahoga Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cuyahoga Co. OH General and History Websites
Cuyahoga Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Cuyahoga Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cuyahoga Co. OH Military Records
Cuyahoga Co., OH Schools & Directories