Coshocton County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Coshocton County was created on January 31, 1810 from Muskingum County and Tuscarawas County . This county was named for the Delaware Indian word meaning "union of waters" .
The Coshocton County Seat is located in Coshocton also, the county government website is www.co.coshocton.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Coshocton County are Holmes County (north), Tuscawaras County (east), Guernsey County (southeast), Muskingum County (south), Licking County (southwest), Knox County (west) .
Cities and towns located in Coshocton County include Coshocton, Baltic, Conesville, Nellie, Plainfield, Warsaw, West Lafayette. Other communities include Bakersville, Blissfield, Fresno, Keene, Tunnel Hill, Wakatomika, Walhonding.
Coshocton County Townships include Adams, Bedford, Bethlehem, Clark, Crawford, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Keene, Lafayette, Linton, Mill Creek, Monroe, Newcastle, Oxford, Perry, Pike, Tiverton, Tuscarawas, Virginia, Washington, White Eyes. .
Coshocton County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Coshocton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Coshocton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Coshocton Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Coshocton County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Coshocton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Coshocton County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 128, Coshocton, OH 43812-0128; meets on the third Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm in the meeting room of the Senior Center, 201 Brown's Lane, Coshocton. This OGS Chapter has published several books on Coshocton County history, cemetery books, and an index to "Bahmer's History, 1909." Census, marriage, county directory 1899, Atlases, Platt Book, 5-generation charts, and will records are also available.
- Johnson-Humrick House Museum, 300 N Whitewoman St, Coshocton, OH 43812-1061; Phone: (740) 622-8710
- Walhonding Valley Historical Society, PO Box 199, Warsaw, OH 43844-0199; Phone: (740) 824-4000
- Coshocton County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Coshocton County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Coshocton County
- Coshocton County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Coshocton County
Coshocton County Courthouse and Government Records
Coshocton County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Coshocton County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Coshocton County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Coshocton County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Coshocton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 349 1/2 Main St., Coshocton 43812
- Phone: (740) 622-1753
- Coshocton County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 426 Main Street, Coshocton, Ohio 43812
- Phone: (740)622-1837
- Marriage Records: 1811
- Probate Records: 1811
- Coshocton County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 740-622-2817
- Land Records: 1800
- Coshocton County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 318 Main Street, Coshocton, OH 43812
- Phone: 740-622-1456
- Court Records: 1811
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Coshocton County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Coshocton County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Coshocton County genealogy or family history related sites.
Coshocton Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Coshocton Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Coshocton Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Coshocton Co. OH Census Records
Coshocton Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Coshocton Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Coshocton Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Coshocton Co. OH General and History Websites
Coshocton Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Coshocton Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Coshocton Co. OH Military Records