Clark County, Ohio
Clark County was created on December 26, 1817 from Champaign County, Greene County and Madison County . This county was named for General George Rogers Clark(1752-1818), defeated the Shawnee Indians in a battle near the Springfield area .
The Clark County Seat is located in Springfield also, the county government website is www.clarkcountyohio.gov .
Areas bordering to Clark County are Champaign County (north), Madison County (east), Greene County (south), Montgomery County (southwest), Miami County (west) .
Cities and towns located in Clark County include New Carlisle, Springfield, Catawba, Clifton, Donnelsville, Enon, North Hampton, South Charleston, South Vienna, Tremont City. Other communities include Medway, Plattsburgh.
Clark County Townships include Bethel, German, Green, Harmony, Mad River, Madison, Moorefield, Pike, Pleasant, Springfield.
Clark County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Clark County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Clark County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Clark Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clark Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clark Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Clark County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Clark County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio (raogk.org)
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clark County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 2524, Springfield, OH 45501-2524; meets the second Saturday of every month except July, August, and December and holidays at 11:00am. Location of meetings is the Heritage Center, 117 South Fountain Ave., in the Discovery Room. This OGS Chapter maintains a genealogical resource library and assists researchers with Clark County data and family histories. It promotes the "First Families of Clark County," a group made up of those persons residing in Clark County prior to December 31, 1830. They also have a "Settlers of Clark County" chapter. Depository for Clark County wills from 1818-1990.
- Clark County Historical Society, 117 S Fountain Ave, Springfield, OH 45502-1207; Phone: (937) 324-0657; The Clark County Historical Society exists to appropriately house, display, and interpret objects that emphasize the uniqueness of Springfield and Clark County and to celebrate the role and impact of the area on the life of the nation. The audience for the Heritage Center is the population of Clark County with a particular, but not exclusive, emphasis upon residents of school age.
- Elizabeth Township Historical Society, 2590 S Dayton Brandt Rd, New Carlisle, OH 45344-9306; Phone: (937) 845-4200
- Enon Community Historical Society, PO Box 442, Enon, OH 45323-0442; Phone: (937) 864-7080; The Enon Community Historical Society has information on local historical sites, genealogy, and on available educational programs. Members provide programs on the Log Cabin and the Adena Mound. The Society sponsors an apple butter festival the second weekend in October.
- George Rogers Clark Heritage Association, PO Box 1251, Springfield, OH 45501-1251; Phone: (937) 882-9216; The George Rogers Clark Heritage Association presents the history of the settlers and the Shawnee in Clark County, focusing on the contributions of George Rogers Clark. A major effort is the Fair at New Boston; a reenactment of a 1790-1810 trades fair.
- Clark County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Clark County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Clark County
- Clark County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Clark County
Clark County Courthouse and Government Records
Clark County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Clark County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Clark County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Clark County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Clark County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 N Limestone St , PO Box 1008, Springfield 45501-0000
- Phone: (937) 328-2458
- Clark County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 50 E Columbia Street, 5th Floor, Springfield, Ohio 45502
- Phone: (937) 521-1845
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1818
- Clark County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 937-521-1709
- Land Records: 1818
- Clark County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone:(937) 328-2435
- Court Records: 1818
- The Clark County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Clark County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clark County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Clark County genealogy or family history related sites.
Clark Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Clark Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Clark Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Clark Co. OH Census Records
Clark Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Clark Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Clark Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clark Co. OH General and History Websites
Clark Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Clark Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clark Co. OH Military Records
AlpineClark Co. OH Schools & Directories