Champaign County, Ohio
Champaign County was created on March 1, 1805 from Franklin County and Greene County . This county was named for the French word for "a plain", describing the land in the area .
The Champaign County Seat is located in Urbana also, the county government website is www.co.champaign.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Champaign County are Logan County (north), Union County (northeast), Madison County (southeast), Clark County (south), Miami County (southwest), Shelby County (
Cities and towns located in Champaign County include Urbana, Christiansburg, Mechanicsburg, Mutual, North Lewisburg, St. Paris, Woodstock . Other communities include Cable, Kennard, Millerstown, Mingo, Rosewood, Springhills, Westville .
Champaign County Townships include Adams, Concord, Goshen, Harrison, Jackson, Johnson, Mad River, Rush, Salem, Union, Urbana, Wayne.
Champaign County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Champaign County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Champaign County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Champaign Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Champaign Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Champaign Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Champaign County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Champaign County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio (raogk.org)
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Champaign County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 682, Urbana, OH 43078-0680; meets at the Champaign County Historical Society, 809 East Lawn, Urbana, OH on the second Monday of every month except July and August at 7:00pm. The meetings are sometimes moved to another location. This OGS Chapter's holdings are presently on loan to the St. Paris Library at 127 East Main Street in St. Paris.
- Champaign County Historical Society , PO 65, Urbana, OH 43078-0065; Phone: (937) 653-6721; The Champaign County Historical Society's museum building originally served as the schoolhouse for the Children's Home and was subsequently used as a School for the retarded. The Society's holdings include a large collection of local photographs, including both the Brand Whitlock and the Simon Kenton collections. They also have John Quincy Adams Ward sculptures.
- Champaign County Preservation Alliance , PO Box 748, Urbana, OH 43078-0748; Phone: (937) 653-6719
- Pony Wagon Historical Museum Inc, PO Box 602, Saint Paris, OH 43072-0602; Phone: (937) 663-5151; The Pony Wagon Historical Museum is in the preliminary stages of converting an old freight house into a museum that will exhibit items such as the Walborn and Riker pony wagons and an 1884 steam pumper. They also have a vintage Zimmerman clothing collection.
- West Liberty Historical Society, 1152 Kennard-Kingscreek Rd, Urbana, OH 43078-9507; Phone: (937) 653-4443
- Champaign County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Champaign County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Champaign County
- Champaign County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Champaign County
Champaign County Courthouse and Government Records
Champaign County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Champaign County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Champaign County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Champaign County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Champaign County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 N. Main St., Urbana 43078-0000
- Phone: (937) 653-2701
- Champaign County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone:(937) 653-2701
- Marriage Records: 1805
- Probate Records: 1804
- Champaign County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 1512 S US HWY 68 Ste B-200, Urbana, OH 43078
- Phone: 937-484-1630
- Land Records: 1806
- Champaign County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 937-484-1047
- Court Records: 1805
- The Champaign County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Champaign County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Champaign County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Champaign County genealogy or family history related sites.
Champaign Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Champaign Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Champaign Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Champaign Co. OH Census Records
Champaign Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Champaign Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Champaign Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Champaign Co. OH General and History Websites
Champaign Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Champaign Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Champaign Co. OH Military Records