Brown County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Brown County, Ohio Facts
When was Brown County, OH Created?
Brown County was created on March 1, 1818 from Adams County and Clermont County . This county was named for General Jacob Brown (1775-1828), an officer of the War of 1812.
What is the County Seat of Brown County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Georgetown also, the county government website is www.browncountyohio.gov .
What counties are adjacent to Brown County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Clinton County (north), Highland County (northeast), Adams County (east), Mason County, Kentucky (south), Bracken County, Kentucky (southwest), Clermont County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Brown County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Aberdeen, Fayetteville, Georgetown, Hamersville, Higginsport, Mount Orab, Ripley, Russellville, Sardinia, St. Martin. Other communities include Decatur, Feesburg .
What townships are in Brown County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Byrd, Clark, Eagle, Franklin, Green, Huntington, Jackson, Jefferson, Lewis, Perry, Pike, Pleasant, Scott, Sterling, Union, Washington.
Brown County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Brown County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Brown County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Brown County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Brown County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Brown County, OH Census Records
What Brown County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Brown County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Brown Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Brown Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Brown Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Brown County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Brown County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Brown County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Brown County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Brown County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 800 Mt. Orab Pike,
Georgetown, Ohio 45121
- Phone: (937) 378-3956
- Brown County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 510 East State Street, P.O. Box 379, Georgetown, Ohio 45121
- Phone: (937) 378-6549
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1817
- Brown County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 800 Mt. Orab Pike, Georgetown, Ohio 45121
- Phone: (937) 378-6478
- Land Records: 1818
- Brown County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address:101 South Main St., Georgetown, Ohio 45121
- Phone: (937) 378-4101
- Court Records: 1818
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Brown County USGenWeb Archives Project
Brown County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Brown County, OH?
A list of Brown County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Brown County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 83, Georgetown, OH 45121-0083, Brown County Chapter, OGS meets at the Old County Jail, Apple and Cherry Streets, Georgetown, OH on the third Thursday of each month at 8:00pm. The Brown County Genealogy Society maintains a genealogical research library focused on Brown County, which has a large collection of research books and family files on surrounding counties and states.
- Brown County Historical Society , PO Box 238, Georgetown, OH 45121-0238; Phone: 937-446-3226 or 937-378-2355; Brown County Historical Society maintains three historical buildings--the Old Timers Building and the Washburn-Dixon Log House, both located on the county fairgrounds, and the Brown County Historical Society Museum located in the former Old County Jail.
- Ripley Heritage, Inc., PO Box 176, Ripley, OH 45167-0176; Phone: (937) 392-4660; Ripley Museum, housed in an 1837 2-story Federal style structure, features over 500 historical items related to this 1812 established river village.
- The John P. Parker Historical Society, PO Box 246, Ripley, OH 45167-0246; Phone: (513) 242-4521; The John P. Parker Historical Society is currently rehabilitating the John P. Parker house and historic site. Mr. Parker was a man who purchased his freedom and lived in this house in 1865 and was a conductor on the Underground Railroad. Hopefully the building will be open in mid-1999. This house is a National Historic Landmark.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Brown County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Brown County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Brown County.
Brown Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Brown Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Brown Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Brown Co. OH General and History Websites
Brown Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Brown Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Brown Co. OH Military Records