Auglaize County, Ohio
Auglaize County was created on February 14, 1848 from Allen County and Mercer County. This county was named for the Auglaize River, which means "fallen timbers river" to the Shawnee .
The Auglaize County Seat is located in Wapakoneta also, the county government website is www2.auglaizecounty.org/ .
Areas bordering to Auglaize County are Allen County (north), Hardin County (east), Logan County (southeast), Shelby County (
south), Mercer County (west), Van Wert County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Auglaize County include Saint Marys, Wapakoneta, Buckland, Cridersville, Minster, New Bremen, New Knoxville, Uniopolis, Waynesfield . Other communities include Glynwood, Freyburg, Kossuth, Moulton, New Hampshire, Saint Johns .
Auglaize County Townships include Clay, Duchouquet, German, Goshen, Jackson, Logan, Moulton, Noble, Pusheta, Saint Marys, Salem, Union, Washington, Wayne.
Auglaize County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Auglaize County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Auglaize County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Auglaize Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Auglaize Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Auglaize Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Auglaize County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Auglaize County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio (raogk.org)
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Auglaize County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 2021, Wapakoneta, OH 45895-0521; meets on the first Saturday of the month at 1:30pm, September through May. They meet in the Basement Meeting Room of the Auglaize County Public Library at the corner of Mechanic and Perry Streets in Wapakoneta. This OGS Chapter publishes cemetery, birth, death, and marriage records. The Auglaize County Library houses the Chapter's holdings, that include printed material and microfilm.
- Auglaize County Historical Society, 206 W Main St, Wapakoneta, OH 45895-1939; Phone: (419) 738-9328; The Daniel F. Mooney Museum was built in 1876 for Civil War Officer Major Charles Hipp. Today it has many items on exhibit from the Auglaize County area including information on former industries, Miami & Erie Canal, oil wells, and artifacts from Fort Barbee, Fort St. Mary's and from the Native Americans. The branch museum includes maps and information on the over 100 one room schools that once were throughout Auglaize county.
- Cridersville Historical Society, PO Box 2444, Cridersville, OH 45806-0444; Phone: (419) 645-5955; The Cridersville Historical Society is an outstanding small town local history museum. Major exhibits interpret the Shawnee tribes who once lived here; local pioneers and how they built their log homes; the coming of the railroad and founding of Cridersville; the Oil Boom years; the day in 1918 when downtown Cridersville disappeared; and much more! The museum encourages pre-arranged special tours.
- Minster Historical Society, 193 S Main St, Minster, OH 45865-1350; Phone: (419) 628-2752; The Minster Historical Society uses a portion of the local library as its exhibit space. Society collections include over 13,500 funeral cards; preserved documents, newspapers, and maps; and its book, LIWWAT BOKE, transcribed from German writings.
- New Bremen Historic Association , P O Box 73, New Bremen, OH 45869-0073; Phone: (419) 629-2299; The New Bremen Historic Association maintains the Hehemann-Luellman House as its museum. The Museum was one of the first non-log cabin structures in the original 1833 plat of New Bremen and a fine example of German architecture. The grounds contain a summer kitchen, and the barn has a display of ice-cutting equipment.
- New Knoxville Historical Society, 09350 Bay Rd, New Knoxville, OH 45871-9634; Phone: (740) 872-3143; The New Knoxville Historical Society maintains an early 100-year-old frame house and summer kitchen, once belonging to Dr. Fledderjohann, the village doctor. The Museum houses memorabilia and artifacts from the village and the surrounding area. An old barn and log smoke house have been added.
- Auglaize County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Auglaize County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Auglaize County
- Auglaize County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Auglaize County
Auglaize County Courthouse and Government Records
Auglaize County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Auglaize County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Auglaize County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Auglaize County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Auglaize County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 201 Willipie St., Wapakoneta 45895-0000
- Phone: (419) 738-3612
- Auglaize County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419-739-6778
- Marriage Records: 1848
- Probate Records: 1852
- Auglaize County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 209 S. Blackhoof St. Suite 103, Wapakoneta, Oh 45895
- Phone: 419-739-6735
- Land Records: 1835
- Auglaize County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 209 South Blackhoof Street, Wapakoneta, Ohio
- Phone: 1-419-739-6770
- Court Records: 1845
- The Auglaize County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Auglaize County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Auglaize County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Auglaize County genealogy or family history related sites.
Auglaize Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Auglaize Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Auglaize Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Auglaize Co. OH Census Records
Auglaize Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Auglaize Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Auglaize Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Auglaize Co. OH General and History Websites
Auglaize Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Auglaize Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Auglaize Co. OH Military Records