Ashland County, Ohio
Ashland County was created on February 24, 1846 from Huron County, Lorain County, Richland County and Wayne County. This county was named for Ashland, home of U.S. Senator from Kentucky Henry Clay.
The Ashland County Seat is located in Ashland also, the county government website is www.ashlandcounty.org/ .
Areas bordering to Ashland County are Lorain County (north), Medina County (northeast), Wayne County (east), Holmes County (southeast), Knox County (southwest), Richland County (west), Huron County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Ashland County include Ashland, Bailey Lakes, Hayesville, Jeromesville, Loudonville, Mifflin, Perrysville, Polk, Savannah. Other communities include Nankin, Nova, Sullivan .
Ashland County Townships include Clear Creek, Green, Hanover, Jackson, Lake, Mifflin, Milton, Mohican, Montgomery, Orange, Perry, Ruggles, Sullivan, Troy, Vermillion.
Ashland County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Ashland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Ashland County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ashland Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ashland Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ashland Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Ashland County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Ashland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ashland County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 681, Ashland, OH 44805-0681; Ashland County Chapter, OGS meets at the Ashland Public Library downstairs meeting room on the third Tuesday of each month at 6:30pm, except November (when they have their First Families induction at a local restaurant) and December. (January and February have an informal get-together.)
- Ashland County Historical Society & Museum, 420 Center St., Ashland OH 44805; Phone: (419) 289 3111; The Ashland County Historical Society operates its museum in an 1859 Manor House that feature changing exhibits, Victorian rooms, an old-fashioned Main Street, and an 1840s room. The Carriage House contains memorabilia from the Civil War and World Wars I and II as well as a 13,000 specimen insect collection and a display of Indian artifacts.
- Ashland University Archives, 401 College Ave, Ashland, OH 44805-3799; Phone: (419) 289-5433
- Greentown Historical Society, 2518 State Route 39, Perrysville, OH 44864-9746; Phone: (419) 938-7441; The Greentown Historical Society meets in a store built around 1900. Craft items, such as lye soap, braided rugs, and candles are exhibited at fair time.
- Johnny Appleseed Heritage Center, Inc., 1161 E Main St, Ashland, OH 44805-2831; Phone: (419) 368-1812; The Johnny Appleseed Heritage Center focuses on the national folk hero, Johnny Appleseed, by promoting, supporting, and nurturing his legacy as a humanitarian, philanthropist and naturalist. The Center, projected to open in June 2003, will provide family-oriented cultural, educational and historic outdoor dramas, museum exhibits, and related programming.
- Mohican Historical Society, 203 E Main St, Loudonville, OH 44842-1214; Phone: (419) 994-4050; The Mohican Historical Society perpetuates the history, art, science and tradition of the community and its relation to the history of Ohio and the United States, do so through the maintenance of a museum and educational programs.
- Ashland County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Ashland County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ashland County
- Ashland County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Ashland County
Ashland County Courthouse and Government Records
Ashland County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Ashland County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Ashland County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Ashland County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Ashland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- 142 W. 2nd Street,
Ashland, Ohio 44805
- Phone: (419) 289-0000
- Ashland County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419-282-4242
- Marriage Records: 1846
- Probate Records: 1846
- Ashland County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-282-4238
- Land Records: 1846
- Ashland County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (419) 282-4291
- Court Records: 1846
- The Ashland County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Ashland County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ashland County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Ashland County genealogy or family history related sites.
Ashland Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ashland Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Ashland Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Ashland Co. OH Census Records
Ashland Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Ashland Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Ashland Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ashland Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Ashland County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- History of north central Ohio : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of the pioneer and modern times of Ashland County (search.ancestry.com)
- Old keys : an historical sketch of Clear Creek Township, Ashland County, Ohio, and of Savannah, the township's only village (search.ancestry.com)
- The Military history of Ohio (search.ancestry.com)
- Ashland County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Ashland County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Ashland Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Ashland County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Ashland County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Ashland (cyndislist.com)
- Ashland Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Ashland County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Ashland Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Ashland Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Ashland Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ashland Co. OH Military Records