North Carolina History & Facts
Iredell County, North Carolina History
When was Iredell County, NC Created?
Iredell County was created on November 3, 1788 from Rowan County. This county was named for James Iredell (1751–1799), a comptroller at the port of Edenton and one of the original justices of the Supreme Court of the United States.
What is the County Seat of Iredell County, NC?
The County Seat is located in Statesville also, the county government website is www.co.iredell.nc.us/.
What counties are adjacent to Iredell County, NC?
Bordering Counties are Yadkin County (northeast), Davie County (east), Rowan County (east), Cabarrus County (southeast), Mecklenburg County (south), Lincoln County (southwest), Catawba County (southwest), Alexander County (northwest), Wilkes County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Iredell County, NC?
Cities and towns located in the County include Harmony, LoveValley, Mooresville, Statesville, Troutman.
Iredell County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Iredell County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Iredell County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Iredell County Register of Deeds (ROD) office. Divorce certificates may be obtained from the Iredell County clerk of court.
You can search online for Iredell County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979
- Iredell Co., NC GenWeb Archives Marriage Records
- Iredell County, North Carolina Marriage Project
- Iredell Co., NC GenWeb Archives Births & Deaths Records
- Social Security Death Index
- North Carolina, Birth Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
- North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
- North Carolina, Death Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975
- North Carolina, Death Collection, 1908-2004
Iredell County, NC Census Records
What Iredell County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790 (incomplete), 1800 (incomplete), 1810 (incomplete), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Iredell Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Iredell Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Iredell Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Iredell County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
Iredell County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Iredell County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Iredell County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county. The County Courthouse was destroyed in 1854 by fire, Some records were destroyed.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Old Iredell County Courthouse
- Iredell County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 221 East Water St, Statesville, NC 28677
- Iredell County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Iredell County.
- Address: 201 East Water Street, Statesville, NC 28677
- Phone: (704) 872-7468
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1788
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1788
- Iredell County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: 704-832-6600
- Probate Records: 1787
- Court Records: 1786
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Iredell County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Iredell County Records
- Iredell Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Iredell Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Iredell Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Iredell County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Iredell County, NC?
A list of Iredell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Genealogical Society of Iredell County, P.O. Box 946, Statesville, NC 28687; (704)878-5384
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
- North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Iredell County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Iredell County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Iredell County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Iredell Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
- North Carolina Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 - 1977) (genealogybank.com) Quickly identify names and keywords / phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items printed in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. New content and articles added each month!
- Landmark, The (Statesville, North Carolina) (search.ancestry.com)
- Statesville Daily Record (Statesville, North Carolina) (search.ancestry.com)
- Statesville Record Landmark (Statesville, North Carolina) (search.ancestry.com)
- Statesville Record (Statesville, North Carolina) (search.ancestry.com)
- Statesville Landmark (Statesville, North Carolina) (search.ancestry.com)
- Iredell County, North Carolina Books (amazon.com)
- Iredell Co., NC GenWeb Archives Obituary Records (usgwarchives.net)
Search North Carolina Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Iredell Co. NC Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Iredell Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Iredell Co. NC General and History Websites
- Iredell County, North Carolina Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Carolina memories (search.ancestry.com)
- The Statesville Daily Record presents pictorially Iredell County, North Carolina, ... Statesville, North Carolina (search.ancestry.com)
- Address delivered by Charles H. Armfield, at the laying of the corner-stone of Iredell County's court house, Statesville, N.C. (search.ancestry.com)
- Lewis grave yard with mention of some early settlers along Fifth Creek, Iredell County, N.C. (search.ancestry.com)
- A History of Iredell County, North Carolina (carolana.com)
- Iredell County, North Carolina Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Iredell Co. NC Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- North Carolina Digital Collections (digital.ncdcr.gov)
- Iredell County, North Carolina (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - North Carolina - Counties - Iredell (cyndislist.com)
- Iredell County North Carolina (genealogytrails.com)
- Iredell Co. NCGenweb (ncgenweb.us)
- Iredell County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Iredell County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Iredell Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Iredell Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Iredell Co. NC Military Records
Iredell Co. NC Schools & Directories