Westchester County, New York
Westchester County was created on November 1, 1683 as One of 12 original counties created in the New York colony. This particular county was named for the city of Chester in England .
The Westchester County Seat can be found in White Plains and in addition the county government website is www3.westchestergov.com/
Regions neighboring Westchester County include Putnam County (north), Fairfield County, CT (northeast), Bergen County, NJ (southwest), Rockland County (west), Bronx County (south).
Cities and Towns to be found in Westchester County consists of Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Peekskill, Rye, White Plains, Yonkers, Bedford, Cortlandt, Eastchester, Greenburgh, Harrison, Lewisboro, Mamaroneck, Mount Kisco, Mount Pleasant, New Castle, North Castle, North Salem, Ossining, Pelham, Pound Ridge, Town of Rye, Scarsdale, Somers, Yorktown. Villages include Ardsley, Briarcliff Manor, Bronxville, Buchanan, Croton-on-Hudson, Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Hastings-on-Hudson, Irvington, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Ossining, Pelham, Pelham Manor, Pleasantville, Port Chester, Rye Brook, Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, Tuckahoe. Communities include Amawalk, Armonk, Baldwin Place, Banksville, Bedford, Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, Chappaqua, Cortlandt Manor, Crompond, Cross River, Croton Falls, Crugers, Eastchester, Eastview, Fairview, Golden's Bridge, Granite Springs, Greenville/Edgemont, Hartsdale, Hawthorne, Heritage Hills, Jefferson Valley-Yorktown, Katonah, Lake Mohegan, Lincolndale, Millwood, Montrose, Peach Lake, Pocantico Hills, Purchase, Purdys, Salem Center, Scotts Corners, Shenorock, Shrub Oak, Somers, South Salem, Thornwood, Tompkins Corners, Valhalla, Verplanck, Vista, Waccabuc, Yorktown Heights
Westchester County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Westchester County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Westchester County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Westchester Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Westchester Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Westchester Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Westchester County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Westchester County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York (raogk.org)
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Westchester County Historical Society, 2199 Saw Mill River Road, Elmsford, NY 10523, Phone: 914.592.4323
- Westchester County Genealogical Society, PO Box 518, White Plains, NY 10603; The Westchester Genealogy Society maintains research materials at the Yorktown New York Family History Center
- Westchester County Historical Society Library, 2199 Saw Mill River Road, Elmsford, NY 10523, Phone: 914.592.4323; cemetery listings, church records, censuses, newspapers, and more. The Historical Society's library is located in the County Archives. The Historical Society, along with the County Archives, maintains Westchester's Virtual Archives
- Westchester County Records Center and Archives,, 2199 Saw Mill River Road, Elmsford, NY 10523, Phone: 914.231.1500; Established in 1985, the County Archives collects records created by the county government including deeds, census rolls, estate records, marriages certificates, naturalization records, Surrogate Court records, and Wills. The County Archives, along with the County Historical Society, maintains Westchester's Virtual Archives
- Westchester Library System, Mount Vernon Public Library, Central Library of Westchester, 28 South First Avenue, Mount Vernon, NY, Phone: 914.668.1840; The Westchester Library System consists of more than forty libraries throughout Westchester County. The Mount Vernon Library (central library) has maps, newspapers, church and synagogue files, photographs, school yearbooks, city directories, and more. The Mount Vernon Library is also a partial depository for U.S. Federal documents.
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Westchester County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Westchester County
- Westchester County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Westchester County
- USGenWeb Archives for Westchester County (usgwarchives.net)
Westchester County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Westchester County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Westchester County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Westchester County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
- Westchester County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 111 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, White Plains, NY 10601
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Westchester County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages. Records, with indexes for 1680—1897, are held at the Records Center and Archives. Later deed records are with the county
- Phone: 914-995-3080
- Land Records: 1683 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1683
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Westchester County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 140 Grand Street 8th Floor, White Plains, NY 10601
- Phone: 914-824-5656
- Probate Records: 1775 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Westchester County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Westchester County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 2199 Saw Mill River Road, Elmsford, NY 10523
- Phone: 914–592-4323
Westchester County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Westchester County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Westchester County genealogy or family history related sites.
Westchester Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Westchester Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in New York
- New York Vital Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- New Rochelle, New York deaths, 1853-1881 (search.ancestry.com)
- Amawalk, Westchester County, New York, Friends Monthly Meeting records : births, marriages and deaths, 1724-1908 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962 (familysearch.org)
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935 (familysearch.org)
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980 (familysearch.org)
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952 (familysearch.org)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Westchester Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Westchester Co. NY Census Records
- See Also Statewide Census Records and Links for New York
- New York Census Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Index to microfilms, U.S. Census, Westchester County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- The United States government census, 1790, Westchester County, New York : arranged and tabulated alphabetically and with groups (search.ancestry.com)
- Westchester County, NY Census Records (census-online.com)
- Westchester County, NY Census QuickFacts (quickfacts.census.gov)
- U.S. Census Mortality Schedules, New York, 1850-1880 (search.ancestry.com)
- Westchester Co., NY GenWeb Archives Census Records (usgwarchives.net)
Westchester Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
- New York Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- New Rochelle tombstone inscriptions (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions copied from gravestones in Yonkers, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions copied from gravestones in Beechwoods Cemetery, New Rochelle, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions from the graveyards in New Rochelle, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions copied from tablets and memorial windows (search.ancestry.com)
- The old Dutch burying ground of Sleepy Hollow (search.ancestry.com)
- Tombstone records of eighteen cemeteries in Poundridge, Westchester County, N.Y. : fully indexed (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions from graveyards in Yonkers & Inwood, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- The Jay Cemetery, Rye, New York : established 1815, incorporated 1906 under New York law as a family cemetery corporation. (search.ancestry.com)
- Sleepy Hollow Cemetery at Tarrytown (search.ancestry.com)
- St. Mark's Episcopal Cemetery, Mt. Kisco, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Burials in and around Pound Ridge, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Cemetery inscriptions of Westchester County, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- New Rochelle, New York, cemeteries (search.ancestry.com)
- Purchase, Westchester Co., N.Y. : tombstone inscriptions in the Quaker burying ground and minutes of monthly meetings, etc. : w (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions copied from the gravestones in St. John's Cemetery, Yonkers, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions copied from graveyards in Bedford, Westchester County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- The old Dutch burying ground of Sleepy Hollow, in North Tarrytown, New York : a record of the early gravestones and their inscr (search.ancestry.com)
- Names on stones in Quaker Cemetery on Post Road, Larchmont, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Westchester Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Westchester County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Westchester Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Westchester County, New York (topozone.com)
- Westchester Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
Westchester Co. NY Church & Bible Records
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Church and Sunday school work in Yonkers (search.ancestry.com)
- First English record book of the Dutch Reformed Church in Sleepy Hollow : formerly the Manor Church of Philipsburgh, now the Fi (search.ancestry.com)
- Purchase, Westchester County, New York, monthly meeting of Friends : intentions of marriage, 1726-1850 / [transcribed by] Willi (search.ancestry.com)
- Poundridge Presbyterian Church, Westchester County, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Purchase Monthly Meeting, Westchester County, New York: Quaker Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Chappaqua Monthly Meeting, Westchester County, New York: Quaker Records (search.ancestry.com)
- St. Paul's Church, Eastchester N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Chappaqua, Westchester County, New York Quaker Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Chappaqua, N.Y., Quaker records (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Topographic Church List and Map for Westchester County, New York (topozone.com)
- Westchester County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Westchester Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Westchester Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Westchester County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Records of the town of Eastchester (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical history of Westchester County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Westchester County in history : manual and civil list, past and present : county history, towns, hamlets, villages and cities (search.ancestry.com)
- The journal of the Reverend Silas Constant : pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Yorktown, New York : with some of the records (search.ancestry.com)
- Katonah, Westchester Co., N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Westchester County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Westchester Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Westchester County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Westchester (cyndislist.com)
- Westchester County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Westchester Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Westchester County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Westchester Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Westchester Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Westchester Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Westchester Co. NY Military Records
Westchester Co. NY Schools & Directories