Wayne County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Wayne County, New York Facts
When was Wayne County, NY Created?
Wayne County was created on February 16, 1791 from Ontario County and Seneca County. This particular county was named in honor of General Anthony Wayne (1745–1796), the American Revolutionary War general .
What is the County Seat of Wayne County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Lyons and in addition the county government website is co.wayne.ny.us
What counties are adjacent to Wayne County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Lake Ontario and Canada (north), Cayuga County (east), Seneca County (southeast), Ontario County (southwest), Monroe County (west).
What cities and towns are in Wayne County, NY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Arcadia, Butler, Galen, Huron, Lyons, Macedon, Marion, Ontario, Palmyra, Rose, Savannah, Sodus, Walworth, Williamson, Wolcott. Villages include Clyde, Lyons, Macedon, Newark, Palmyra, Red Creek, Sodus, Sodus Point, Wolcott. Hamlets include Alloway, Alton, Angells Corners, Bear Creek, Bonni Castle, Butler Center, Desbrough Park, East Bay Park, East Palmyra, East Williamson, Evans Corner, Fairville, Fairville Station, Fort Hill, Furnace Village, Furnaceville, Gananda, Glenmark, Huddle, Huron, Hydesville, Lake Bluff, Lakeside, Lincoln, Lock Berlin, Lummisville, Macedon Center, Marbletown, Marengo, Marion, Mud Mills, Noble Corner, North Huron, North Macedon, North Rose, North Wolcott, Ontario, Ontario Center, Ontario-on-the-Lake, Owls Nest, Pilgrimport, Pultneyville, Resort, Rice Mill, Rose, Savannah, Shephards Corner, Sodus Center, South Butler, South Sodus, Sunset View, Thorntons Corner, Union Hill, Wallington, Walworth, Wayne Center, Wayneport, West Butler, West Walworth, Westbury, Williamson, Yellow Mills, York, Zurich.
Wayne County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Wayne County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Wayne County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wayne County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- Marriages and deaths from the Wayne Sentinel
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Wayne County, NY Census Records
What Wayne County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Wayne County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wayne Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Wayne County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Wayne County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Wayne County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Wayne County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Wayne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 26 Church Street, Lyons, New York 14489-1145
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Wayne County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Address: 9 Pearl St., P.O. Box 608, Lyons, NY 14489
- Phone: 315-946-7470
- Land Records: 1823 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1823
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Wayne County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 54 Broad Street, Lyons, NY 14489
- Phone: 315-946-5459
- Probate Records: 1823 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Wayne County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Municipal Historians: Includes all Town and Village Historians
- Wayne County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 9 Pearl Street, Suite 3, Lyons, New York 14489
- Phone: 315-946-5470
- Abstracts of wills of Wayne County, N.Y. : Surrogate's Office, Lyons, N.Y.
- Letters of administration : intestate records in the Surrogate's Office, Lyons, Wayne County, N.Y.
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Wayne County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Wayne County, NY?
A list of Wayne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- West Wayne Genealogical Society, 411 Canal Drive East, Macedon 14502-9113
- Wayne County Historical Society, 21 Butternut Street, Lyons, New York 14489, Phone: 315-946-4943
- Lyons Heritage Society, P.O. Box 150, Lyons, New York 14489, Phone: 315-946-6316 or 946-4596
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Lyons Public Library, 122 Broad Street, Lyons, New York 14489, Phone: 315-946-9262
- The Palmyra Kings Daughters Free Library, 127 Cuyler Street, Palmyra, New York 14522, Phone: 315-597-5276; The Palmyra library had local histories, old newspaper listings on marriages, cemetery listings, old maps, deaths, poorhouse records and more.
- Clyde Savannah Public Library, 204 Glasgow Street, Clyde, New York 14433, Phone: 315-923-7767
- Museum of Wayne County History, 21 Butternut Street, Lyons, New York 14489, Phone: 315-946-4943
- Heritage Square Museum, 7147 Ontario Center Road, Ontario, New York 14519
- The Museums of Historic Palmyra, 132 Market Street, Palmyra, New York 14522, Phone: 315-597-6981
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Wayne County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Wayne County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wayne County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Wayne Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wayne Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- New York Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Cemetery records from the Willow Avenue Cemetery, Newark, Wayne County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Wayne Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Wayne County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Wayne Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Wayne Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- The Zion Episcopal Church records of Palmyra, Wayne County, N.Y. : part I : lists of communicants, 1826-1850, baptisms, 1823-18 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Wayne County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Wayne Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wayne Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Wayne County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Landmarks of Wayne County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Rose neighborhood sketches : Wayne County, New York, with glimpses of the adjacent towns: Butler, Wolcott, Huron, Sodus, Lyons, (search.ancestry.com)
- Palmyra and vicinity (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Macedon Academy, 1841-1891 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pioneers of Macedon (search.ancestry.com)
- Wayne County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Wayne Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Wayne County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Wayne (cyndislist.com)
- Wayne County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Wayne Co. NYGenweb (nygenweb.net)
- Wayne County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Wayne Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Wayne Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Wayne Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wayne Co. NY Military Records