Tioga County, New York
Genealogy and Facts
Tioga County, New York genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Tioga Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Tioga County was created on February 16, 1791 from Montgomery County. This particular county was named for a Native American word meaning "at the forks", describing a meeting place .
The Tioga County Seat can be found in Owego and in addition the county government website is tiogacountyny.com/
Regions neighboring Tioga County include Cortland County (northeast), Broome County (east), Susquehanna County, PA (southeast), Bradford County, PA (south), Chemung County (west), Tompkins County (northwest).
Cities and Towns to be found in Tioga County consists of Apalachin (hamlet), Barton (town), Berkshire (town), Candor (town), Candor (village), Newark Valley (town), Newark Valley (village), Nichols (town), Nichols (village), Owego (village), Owego (town), Richford (town), Spencer (town), Spencer (village), Tioga (town), Waverly (village).
Tioga County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Tioga Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tioga Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tioga Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Tioga County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Tioga County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Tioga County Historical Society Museum and Genealogical Committee, 110-112 Front St., Owego, NY 13827, Phone: (607) 687-2460; 300,000 index card index to censuses, newspapers, family Bibles, family folders, local histories, published genealogies.
- Finger Lakes Genealogical Society, PO Box 581, Seneca Falls, New York 13148
- Crooked Lake Review, 6877 Van Amburg Road, Hammondsport, NY 14840; The Crooked Lake Review is a local history magazine for the Conhocton, Canisteo, Tioga, Chemung and Genesee river valleys, and for the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario regions of New York State.". This website deals with stories, histories and information dealing with people, events, and places in relationship to the area.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Tioga County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Tioga County
- Tioga County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Tioga County
- USGenWeb Archives for Tioga County (usgwarchives.net)
Tioga County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Tioga County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Tioga County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Tioga county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The explanation for the delay in the Surrogate’s records is not fully known, but some estate records during this period may have perished in an early fire in Spencer, once the county seat.
- Tioga County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 20 Court St., Owego, NY 13827
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Tioga County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Address: 16 Court Street, PO Box 307, Owego, NY 13827
- Phone: 607-687-8660
- Land Records: 1791 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1791
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Tioga County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Phone: (607) 687-1303
- Probate Records: 1798 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Tioga County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Tioga County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 16 Court Street, P.O. Box 307 (Mailing address), Owego, NY 13827
- Phone: (607) 687-8646
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Tioga County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Tioga County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Tioga County genealogy or family history related sites.
Tioga Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Tioga Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Tioga Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Tioga Co. NY Census Records
Tioga Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Tioga Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Tioga Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Tioga Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Tioga County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Historical gazetteer of Tioga County, New York, 1785-1888 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Tioga, Chemung, Tompkins, and Schuyler Counties, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of (search.ancestry.com)
- Our county and its people : a memorial history of Tioga County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Owego : some account of the early settlement of the village in Tioga County, N.Y., called Ah-wa-ga by the Indians, which name w (search.ancestry.com)
- Rural letters and other records of thought at leisure (search.ancestry.com)
- Tioga County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Tioga Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Tioga County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Tioga (cyndislist.com)
- Tioga County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Tioga Co. NYGenweb (nygenweb.net)
- Tioga County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Tioga Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Tioga Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Tioga Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Tioga Co. NY Military Records
Tioga Co. NY Schools & Directories