Suffolk County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Suffolk County, New York Facts
When was Suffolk County, NY Created?
Suffolk County was created on 1683 as one of 12 original counties created in theNew York colony. This particular county was named for the county of Suffolk in England .
What is the County Seat of Suffolk County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Riverhead and in addition the county government website is www.suffolkcountyny.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Suffolk County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Nassau County (west).
What cities and towns are in Suffolk County, NY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Riverhead, Babylon, Brookhaven, East Hampton, Huntington, Islip, Riverhead, Shelter Island, Smithtown, Southampton, Southold. Villages include Amityville, Asharoken, Babylon, Belle Terre, Bellport, Brightwaters, Dering Harbor, East Hampton, Greenport, Head of the Harbor, Huntington Bay, Islandia, Lake Grove, Lindenhurst, Lloyd Harbor, Nissequogue, North Haven, Northport, Ocean Beach, Old Field, Patchogue, Poquott, Port Jefferson, Quogue, Sagaponack, Sag Harbor, Saltaire, Shoreham, Southampton, Village of the Branch, Westhampton, West Hampton Dunes.
Suffolk County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Suffolk County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Suffolk County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Suffolk County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- The Salmon records : a private register of marriages and deaths of the residents of the town of Southold, Suffolk County, N.Y.,
- Deaths taken from The Republican Watchman
- Marriages of Suffolk County, N.Y. : taken from the "Republican Watchman," a newspaper published at Greenport, N.Y.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Suffolk County, NY Census Records
What Suffolk County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Suffolk County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Suffolk Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Suffolk Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Suffolk Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Suffolk County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Suffolk County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Suffolk County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Suffolk County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Suffolk County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 170 Federal Plaza, Central Islip, NY 11722
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Suffolk County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Address: 310 Center Drive, Riverhead, NY 11901-3392
- Phone: 631-852-2000
- Land Records: 1683 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1683
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Suffolk County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 320 Center Drive, Riverhead, NY 11901
- Phone: 631-852-1725
- Probate Records: 1787 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Suffolk County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Suffolk County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: Division of Cultural and Historical Services, Suffolk County Department of Parks, Montauk Highway, PO Box 144, West Sayville, NY 11796
- Phone: 631-567-1487
- Records of the town of East-Hampton, Long Island, Suffolk Co., N.Y. : with other ancient documents of historic value.
- Huntington town records : including Babylon, Long Island, N.Y.
- The ... book of records of the town of Southampton : with other ancient documents of historic value, including all the writings
- Records of the town of Brookhaven
- The sixth volume of record of Southampton, L.I., N.Y.
- Brookhaven town records.
- The Babylon town patents
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Suffolk County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Suffolk County, NY?
A list of Suffolk County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Genealogy Federation of Long Island ; Compiles information on thirteen Genealogy Organizations located on Long Island
- Suffolk County Historical Society, 300 West Main Street, Riverhead, NY 11901, Phone: 631.727.2881; genealogies, biographies, town records, photographs, maps, cemetery transcriptions, Bible records, newspapers, censuses. Tables of contents forThe Register are available for free online.
- The Computer Genealogy Society of Long Island, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 160 Washington Ave., Plainview, NY, Phone: 516.921.0841
- Germany Genealogy Group, PO Box 1004, Kings Park, NY 11754
- Jewish Genealogy Society of Long Island, 37 Westcliff Drive, Dix Hills, NY 11746
- Patchogue-Medford Library Genealogy Research Group, 54-60 East Main Street, Patchogue, NY 11772, Phone: 631-654-4700 ext. 231
- Genealogy Workshop of the Huntington Historical Society, 209 Main St., Huntington, NY 11743, Phone: 631.427.7045
- Longwood Genealogy Group, Community Room, Longwood Public Library, 800 Middle Country Road, Middle Island, NY
- Huntington Historical Society Library, High St. & New Park Ave., P.O. Box 506, Huntington, NY 11743, 631-427-7056; A Guide to the Collections of the Resource Center and Archives is available online. Assorted genealogical collections are housed here, including church, cemetery, military, and newspaper records. A list of family files is available online.
- Suffolk County Historical Society Library, 300 West Main St., Riverhead, NY 11901, 631-727-2881; Histories, genealogies, biographies, private papers, photographs, maps, cemetery records, ancestor charts, Bible records, newspapers, censuses, DAR collection.
- Suffolk Cooperative Library System; Maintains copies of Federal Censuses, State Censuses, New York State Records (1799-1804), and City Directories that relate to Suffolk County for use at libraries throughout the county.
- Smithtown Public Library, Richard Handley Collection, East Main St., Smithtown, NY 11787; Thousands of Long Island history and genealogy books, hundreds of maps, newspapers.
- East Hampton Library, 159 Main St., East Hampton, NY 11937; Long Island Collection includes deeds, wills, genealogies, newspapers, family records and more.
- Sag Harbor History Room, John Jermain Memorial Library, 34 West Water St., Sag Harbor, NY 11963, 631.725.0049; photographs, genealogies, local history books, newspapers (dating to 1790), births, deaths, marriages, maps, and more.
- Celia M. Hastings Local History Room, Patchoque-Medford Library, 54-60 East Main Street, Patchogue, NY 11772, Phone: 631.654.4700 ext 240; periodicals, genealogies, maps and atlases, postcards, photographs, family files, oral history, and more.
- Diocese of Rockville Centre, 50 North Park Ave, PO Box 9023, Rockville Centre, NY 11571, Phone: 516.678.5800; The Diocesan Archives collects and maintains records created by the parishes of the Diocese of Rockville Centre.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Suffolk County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Suffolk County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Suffolk County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Suffolk Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Suffolk Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- New York Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Grave stone inscriptions from Oakland Cemetery, Sag Harbor, L.I. (search.ancestry.com)
- Cemetery inscriptions from Riverhead, Long Island, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Suffolk Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Suffolk County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Suffolk Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Suffolk Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Presbyterian Church, East Hampton, New York, church records 1696-1884 : extract from printed records of the town of East Hampto (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Suffolk County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Suffolk Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Suffolk Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Suffolk County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Records of the town of East-Hampton, Long Island, Suffolk County, New York, Vol. 2, 4, and 5 (search.ancestry.com)
- East Hampton Trustees journal (search.ancestry.com)
- Records, town of Brookhaven (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical record of Suffolk County (Long Island) New York : containing portraits and biographical sketches of p (search.ancestry.com)
- Thomas Halsey of Hertfordshire, England, and Southampton, Long Island, 1591-1679 : with his American descendants to the eighth (search.ancestry.com)
- Suffolk County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Suffolk Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Suffolk County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Suffolk (cyndislist.com)
- Suffolk County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Suffolk Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Suffolk County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Suffolk Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Suffolk Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Suffolk Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Suffolk Co. NY Military Records