St. Lawrence County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
St. Lawrence County, New York Facts
When was St. Lawrence County, NY Created?
St. Lawrence County was created on 1802 from Clinton County, Herkimer County and Montgomery County.
What is the County Seat of St. Lawrence County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Canton and in addition the county government website is co.st-lawrence.ny.us/
What counties are adjacent to St. Lawrence County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Jefferson County, Franklin County, Lewis County, Herkimer County, Hamilton County,Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties, Ontario and Leeds and Grenville United Counties, Ontario, Leeds and Grenville United Counties, Ontario.
St. Lawrence County, NY Vital Records
Where can find St. Lawrence County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
St. Lawrence County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for St. Lawrence County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
St. Lawrence County, NY Census Records
What St. Lawrence County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for St. Lawrence County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
St. Lawrence Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Lawrence Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Lawrence Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
St. Lawrence County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
St. Lawrence County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the St. Lawrence County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of St. Lawrence County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the St. Lawrence County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
St. Lawrence County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for St. Lawrence County, NY?
A list of St. Lawrence County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- St. Lawrence County Historical Association, 3 East Main Street, P.O. Box 8, Canton, New York 13617-0008, Phone: 315-386-8133;
Publications: The Quarterly Journal and The Wright House newsletter.
- St. Lawrence Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 205, Canton, New York 13617-0205; Publication: The SLVGS News - published four times a year.
- Swe-kat-si Chapter, NSDAR Ogdensburg, New York
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Potsdam Public Museum, Civic Center Park Street, Potsdam, New York 13676; Contains material gathered by the St. Lawrence Valley Genealogical Society
- Massena Public Library, 41 Glenn St., Massena, New York 13662, Phone: 315-769-9914
- Ogdensburg Public Library, 312 Washington Street, Ogdensburg, New York 13669, Phone: 315-393-4325
- St. Lawrence University Library, Owen D. Young Library - University Archives and Special Collections, 23 Romoda Drive, Canton, New York 13617, Phone 315-229-5476; Collection includes manuscripts, documents and other materials regarding the history the Northern New York area.
- Southworth Library at the State University of New York at Canton, Cornell Drive, Canton, New York 13617, Phone: 315-386-7058; Library has material relative to the history and conditions of the college.
- College Libraries at the State University of New York at Potsdam, 44 Pierrepont Avenue, SUNY Potsdam, Potsdam, New York 13676, Phone: 315-267-3326; Collection includes papers, photos and memorabilia relative to the history of Potsdam College (including the Potsdam Normal School) since 1869 and some material related to the earlier St. Lawrence Academy.
- Clarkson University, Educational Resources Center, Library - Archives, Box 5590, Potsdam, New York 13699-5590, Phone: 315-268-4268; Library has historical documents and materials of the University, history and genealogical records of the Clarkson family.
- Directory of Archival and Historical Document Collections (nnyln.org)
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other St. Lawrence County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in St. Lawrence County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to St. Lawrence County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
St. Lawrence Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
St. Lawrence Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
St. Lawrence Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
St. Lawrence Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- St. Lawrence County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- The north country : a history embracing Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis and Franklin Counties, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Our county and its people : a memorial record of St. Lawrence County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties, New York : from the earliest period to the present time (search.ancestry.com)
- Early history of the town of Hopkinton : history of East Village (Nicholville) and vicinity, diaries of Elisha Risdon and Artem (search.ancestry.com)
- St. Lawrence County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- St. Lawrence Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- St. Lawrence County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - St. Lawrence (cyndislist.com)
- St. Lawrence County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- St. Lawrence Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- St. Lawrence County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- St. Lawrence Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
St. Lawrence Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
St. Lawrence Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
St. Lawrence Co. NY Military Records
St. Lawrence Co. NY Schools & Directories