Saratoga County, New York
Genealogy and Facts
Saratoga County, New York genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Saratoga Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Saratoga County was created on February 7, 1791 from Albany County. This particular county was named ifor a corruption of a Native American word meaning "the hill beside the river" .
The Saratoga County Seat can be found in Ballston Spa and in addition the county government website is saratogacountyny.gov/
Regions neighboring Saratoga County include Warren County (north), Washington County (northeast), Rensselaer County (southeast), Albany County (southwest), Montgomery County (west), Fulton County (west), Schenectady County (west), Hamilton County (northwest).
Cities and Towns to be found in Saratoga County consists of Mechanicville, Saratoga Springs, Ballston, Charlton, Clifton Park, Corinth, Day, Edinburg, Galway, Greenfield, Hadley, Halfmoon, Malta, Milton, Moreau, Northumberland, Providence, Saratoga, Stillwater, Waterford, Wilton. Villages include Ballston Spa, Corinth, Galway, Round Lake, Schuylerville, South Glens Falls, Stillwater, Victory, Waterford. Hamlets include Ballston Lake, Burnt Hills, Country Knolls, Crescent, Gansevoort, Rexford.
Saratoga County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Saratoga Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Saratoga Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Saratoga Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Saratoga County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Saratoga County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Saratoga County Historical Society, 6 Charlton Street, Ballston Spa, NY 12020, Phone: (518) 885-4000; Surname File List; Collections
- Capital District Genealogical Society, Empire State Plaza Station, PO Box 2175, Albany, NY 12220-0175
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Brookside Museum, 6 Charlton Street, Ballston Spa, NY 12020, Phone: (518) 885-4000
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Saratoga County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Saratoga County
- Saratoga County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Saratoga County
- USGenWeb Archives for Saratoga County (usgwarchives.net)
Saratoga County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Saratoga County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Saratoga County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Saratoga County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
- Saratoga County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 40 McMaster Street, Ballston Spa, NY 12020
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Saratoga County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: 518-885-2213
- Land Records: 1791 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1791
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Saratoga County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 30 McMaster Street, Building 3, Ballston Spa NY 12020
- Phone: 518-884-4722
- Probate Records: 1791 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Saratoga County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Saratoga County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 40 McMaster Street, Ballston Spa, N.Y. 12020
- Phone: 518-884-4749
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Saratoga County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Saratoga County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Saratoga County genealogy or family history related sites.
Saratoga Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Saratoga Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Saratoga Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Saratoga Co. NY Census Records
Saratoga Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Saratoga Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Saratoga Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Saratoga Co. NY General and History Websites
Saratoga Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Saratoga Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Saratoga Co. NY Military Records
Saratoga Co. NY Schools & Directories