Putnam County, New York
Putnam County was created on Jume 12, 1812 from Dutchess County. This particular county was named in honor of Israel Putnam (1718–1790), an American Revolutionary War general .
The Putnam County Seat can be found in Carmel and in addition the county government website is www.putnamcountyny.com
Regions neighboring Putnam County include Dutchess County (north), Fairfield County, CT (east), Westchester County (
South), Rockland County (southwest), Orange County (west).
Cities and Towns to be found in Putnam County consists of Carmel, Kent, Patterson, Philipstown, Putnam Valley, Southeast. Villages include Brewster, Cold Spring, Nelsonville. Communities includes Brewster Hill, Carmel, Garrison, Lake Carmel, Mahopac, Peach Lake, Putnam Lake.
Putnam County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Putnam County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Putnam County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Putnam Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Putnam Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Putnam Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Putnam County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Putnam County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York (raogk.org)
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Putnam County Historical Society & Foundry Museum , 63 Chestnut Street , Cold Spring, NY 10516-2613 , Phone: 845-265-4010
- Putnam County Archives, 40 Gleneida Avenue, 3rd Floor, Carmel, New York 10512;
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Putnam County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Putnam County
- Putnam County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Putnam County
- USGenWeb Archives for Putnam County (usgwarchives.net)
Putnam County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Putnam County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Putnam County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Putnam County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
- Putnam County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 40 Gleneida Avenue, Carmel, NY 10512
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Putnam County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Address: 68 Marvin Avenue, Brewster, New York 10509
- Phone: (845) 808-1142 ex. 49236
- Land Records: 1812 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1812
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Putnam County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 44 Gleneida Avenue, Carmel NY 10512
- Phone: 845-208-7860
- Probate Records: 1812 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Putnam County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Putnam County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 68 Marvin Ave, Brewster NY 10509-1515
- Phone: 845-808-1420
Putnam County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Putnam County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Putnam County genealogy or family history related sites.
Putnam Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Putnam Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Putnam Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Putnam Co. NY Census Records
Putnam Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Putnam Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Putnam Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Putnam Co. NY General and History Websites
Putnam Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Putnam Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Putnam Co. NY Military Records