How to order New York Vital Records
New York Birth, Marriage, Divorce as well as Death records, generally known as vital records, give information about important events in your ancestors life. Vital records, usually kept by a civic authority, gives people an even more comprehensive picture of your ancestor, help you differentiate between two people using the identical name, and help you uncover links to a new generation. They could comprise of information and facts like the occasion date and place, parents’ names, occupation and residence. The cause of death is also listed in many New York death records.
New York vital records certainly are a foundation of New York genealogy and family history research because they were usually recorded at or close to the time of the occurrence, making the record more likely to be reliable. This web page contains links, details that will help you obtain copies from New York state and county vital records keepers. Vital records (births, deaths, marriages, and divorces) mark the key events of our lives and are the foundation of genealogy and family tree research.
New York Division of Vital Records, issues, documents, and stores certified copies of vital records including birth, marriage, divorce death certificates for occurrences that took place in New York. To verify current fees and information the telephone number is 311 (212-639-9675 outside New York City). For Births, Marriages and Death IN New York City See website.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!!! The New York State Department of Health does not file records of births and deaths that occurred in New York City and marriage licenses that were obtained in New York City. To obtain information about genealogy services available for New York City records, please visit the New York City Municipal Archives
- Ordering New York Birth and Death Certificates: The State Division of Vital Records has birth records from 1880 to present and death records from 1881 to present. The fee for a birth and death certified copy is $30. For records before 1914 in Albany, Buffalo, and Yonkers, or before 1880 in any other city, write to Registrar of Vital Statistics in city where event occurred.
- Ordering New York Marriage Certificates: The State Division of Vital Records has marriage records from 1880 to present. The fee for a marriage certified copy is $30. For records from 1880-1907 and licenses issued in the cities of Albany, Buffalo, or Yonkers, apply to–Albany: City Clerk, City Hall, Albany, NY 12207; Buffalo: City Clerk, City Hall, Buffalo, NY 14202; Yonkers: Registrar of Vital Statistics, Health Center Building, Yonkers, NY 10701.
Prior to 1784 couples intending to marry were required to obtain licenses from and file bonds with the provincial secretary, if the impending marriage was not announced in a church. These Marriage Bonds were mostly destroyed in the 1911 Capitol fire. Published abstracts are available in Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784 and in New York Marriage Bonds, 1753-1783
- Ordering New York Divorce Certificates: The State Division of Vital Records has divorce records from January 1963 to present. If the records are not available at the Vital Records office, they should be available from the County Clerk in the county where the divorce decree was granted.
How to Order New York Vital Records
- Physical Address: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237; (518) 474-3077, (518) 474-3038 Information, Fax: (518) 432-6286 .
- Mailing Address: Certification Unit, Vital Records Section/2nd floor, 800 North Pearl Street, Menands, NY 12204. All mail orders should include a Personal check or money order made payable to New York State Department of Health. Do not send cash.
- Website Address: www.health.ny.gov
- Ordering Vital Records Online - The New York State Department of Health does not accept credit cards or on-line orders for vital records. Get the certificates within 2-5 days with a credit or debit card from USAVital.com or VitalChek.com
- Ordering Vital Records by Mail: You can download an application online for New York (Except New York City) Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate, Genealogy Applications. Please allow up to 4-6 weeks for processing of all type of certificates ordered through the mail.
Background of New York Vital Records
Searchable New York Databases and other Helpful Links
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project (usgwarchives.net)
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834 (search.ancestry.com)
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962 (familysearch.org)
- New York Marriages to 1784 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935 (familysearch.org)
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55 (search.ancestry.com)
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection) (search.ancestry.com)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection) (search.ancestry.com)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952 (familysearch.org)