Jefferson County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jefferson County, New York Facts
When was Jefferson County, NY Created?
Jefferson County was created on March 28, 1805 from Oneida County. This particular county was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), the early American statesman, author of the Declaration of Independence, and third President of the United States.
What is the County Seat of Jefferson County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Watertown and in addition the county government website is co.jefferson.ny.us/
What counties are adjacent to Jefferson County, NY?
Bordering Counties are St. Lawrence County (northeast), Lewis County (southeast), Oswego County (southwest), Leeds and Grenville United Counties, Ontario (north), Frontenac County, Ontario (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Jefferson County, NY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Adams (town), Adams (village), Adams Center, Alexandria (town), Alexandria Bay (village), Antwerp (town), Antwerp (village), Black River (village), Brownville (town), Brownville (village), Calcium, Cape Vincent (town), Cape Vincent (village), Carthage (village), Champion (town), Chaumont (village), Clayton (town), Clayton (village), Deferiet (village), Depauville, Dexter (village), Ellisburg (town), Ellisburg (village), Evans Mills (village), Fort Drum (federal military installation), Glen Park (village), Great Bend, Henderson (town), Herrings (village), Hounsfield (town), La Fargeville, Le Ray (town), Lorraine (town), Lyme (town), Mannsville (village), Natural Bridge, Orleans (town), Pamelia (town), Philadelphia (town), Philadelphia (village), Redwood, Rodman (town), Rutland (town), Sackets Harbor (village), Theresa (town), Theresa (village), Watertown (town), Watertown (city), West Carthage (village), Wilna (town), Worth (town) .
Jefferson County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Jefferson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jefferson County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jefferson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Jefferson County, NY Census Records
What Jefferson County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jefferson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Jefferson County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Jefferson County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Jefferson County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Jefferson County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 195 Arsenal St., Watertown, NY
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Jefferson County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Address: 175 Arsenal Street, Watertown, New York 13601
- Phone: land Records: 315-785-3081; Court Records: 315-785-3200
- Land Records: 1805 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1805
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Jefferson County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 163 Arsenal Street, Watertown, NY 13601
- Phone: (315) 785-3019
- Probate Records: 1805 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Jefferson County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Jefferson County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 175 Arsenal Street, Watertown, NY 13601
- Phone: (315) 785-5149
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Jefferson County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jefferson County, NY?
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society, P O Box 6453, Watertown, NY 13601
- Jefferson County Historical Society, 228 Washington Street, Watertown, New York 13601;
Phone: 315-782-3491; Publication: Quarterly Newsletter Museum Musings; Collection includes artifacts, letters, photographs and more.
- Town of Watertown Historical Society, 22867 County Rt 67, Watertown 13601
- 4 Rivers Historical Society , PO Box 504, Carthage 13619
- Historical Association of South Jefferson, 29 East Church Street, Adams, New York 13601, Phone: 315-232-2616 or 315-298-5953
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Jefferson Community College, Mervil Dewey Library, 1220 Coffeen St., Watertown, New York 13601, Phone: 315-786-2413 or 315-786-2225; Collection includes histories of Jefferson, Lewis, St. Lawrence and other contiguous North County counties, local information, periodicals, Harold Sanderson Civil War Database and more.
- Roswell P. Flower Genealogy Library, 229 Washington St., Watertown, NY 13601, 315-785-7711, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paddock Museum, 228 Washington Street, Watertown, New York 13601, Phone: 315-782-3491
- Directory of Archival and Historical Document Collections (nnyln.org)
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Jefferson County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Jefferson County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Jefferson Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Jefferson Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Jefferson County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A topographical description of Jefferson County in the state of New-York (search.ancestry.com)
- The north country : a history embracing Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis and Franklin Counties, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Genealogical and family history of the county of Jefferson, New York : a record of the achievements of her people and the pheno (search.ancestry.com)
- Our county and its people : a descriptive work on Jefferson County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- The growth of a century : as illustrated in the history of Jefferson County, New York, from 1793 to 1894 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Jefferson County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers. (search.ancestry.com)
- Jefferson County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Jefferson Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Jefferson County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Jefferson (cyndislist.com)
- Jefferson County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Jefferson Co. NYGenweb (nygenweb.net)
- Jefferson County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Jefferson Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Jefferson Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Jefferson Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. NY Military Records
Jefferson Co. NY Schools & Directories