Jefferson County, New York
Jefferson County was created on March 28, 1805 from Oneida County. This particular county was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), the early American statesman, author of the Declaration of Independence, and third President of the United States.
The Jefferson County Seat can be found in Watertown and in addition the county government website is co.jefferson.ny.us/
Regions neighboring Jefferson County include St. Lawrence County (northeast), Lewis County (southeast), Oswego County (southwest), Leeds and Grenville United Counties, Ontario (north), Frontenac County, Ontario (northwest).
Cities and Towns to be found in Jefferson County consists of Adams (town), Adams (village), Adams Center, Alexandria (town), Alexandria Bay (village), Antwerp (town), Antwerp (village), Black River (village), Brownville (town), Brownville (village), Calcium, Cape Vincent (town), Cape Vincent (village), Carthage (village), Champion (town), Chaumont (village), Clayton (town), Clayton (village), Deferiet (village), Depauville, Dexter (village), Ellisburg (town), Ellisburg (village), Evans Mills (village), Fort Drum (federal military installation), Glen Park (village), Great Bend, Henderson (town), Herrings (village), Hounsfield (town), La Fargeville, Le Ray (town), Lorraine (town), Lyme (town), Mannsville (village), Natural Bridge, Orleans (town), Pamelia (town), Philadelphia (town), Philadelphia (village), Redwood, Rodman (town), Rutland (town), Sackets Harbor (village), Theresa (town), Theresa (village), Watertown (town), Watertown (city), West Carthage (village), Wilna (town), Worth (town) .
Jefferson County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jefferson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Jefferson County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Jefferson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society, P O Box 6453, Watertown, NY 13601
- Jefferson County Historical Society, 228 Washington Street, Watertown, New York 13601;
Phone: 315-782-3491; Publication: Quarterly Newsletter Museum Musings; Collection includes artifacts, letters, photographs and more.
- Town of Watertown Historical Society, 22867 County Rt 67, Watertown 13601
- 4 Rivers Historical Society , PO Box 504, Carthage 13619
- Historical Association of South Jefferson, 29 East Church Street, Adams, New York 13601, Phone: 315-232-2616 or 315-298-5953
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Jefferson Community College, Mervil Dewey Library, 1220 Coffeen St., Watertown, New York 13601, Phone: 315-786-2413 or 315-786-2225; Collection includes histories of Jefferson, Lewis, St. Lawrence and other contiguous North County counties, local information, periodicals, Harold Sanderson Civil War Database and more.
- Roswell P. Flower Genealogy Library, 229 Washington St., Watertown, NY 13601, 315-785-7711, email@example.com
- Paddock Museum, 228 Washington Street, Watertown, New York 13601, Phone: 315-782-3491
- Directory of Archival and Historical Document Collections (nnyln.org)
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jefferson County
- USGenWeb Archives for Jefferson County (usgwarchives.net)
Jefferson County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Jefferson County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Jefferson County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 195 Arsenal St., Watertown, NY
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Jefferson County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Address: 175 Arsenal Street, Watertown, New York 13601
- Phone: land Records: 315-785-3081; Court Records: 315-785-3200
- Land Records: 1805 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1805
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Jefferson County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 163 Arsenal Street, Watertown, NY 13601
- Phone: (315) 785-3019
- Probate Records: 1805 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Jefferson County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Jefferson County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 175 Arsenal Street, Watertown, NY 13601
- Phone: (315) 785-5149
Jefferson County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Jefferson County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Jefferson County genealogy or family history related sites.
Jefferson Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jefferson Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jefferson Co. NY Census Records
Jefferson Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jefferson Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Jefferson Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Jefferson County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A topographical description of Jefferson County in the state of New-York (search.ancestry.com)
- The north country : a history embracing Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis and Franklin Counties, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Genealogical and family history of the county of Jefferson, New York : a record of the achievements of her people and the pheno (search.ancestry.com)
- Our county and its people : a descriptive work on Jefferson County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- The growth of a century : as illustrated in the history of Jefferson County, New York, from 1793 to 1894 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Jefferson County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers. (search.ancestry.com)
- Jefferson County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Jefferson Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Jefferson County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Jefferson (cyndislist.com)
- Jefferson County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Jefferson Co. NYGenweb (nygenweb.net)
- Jefferson County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Jefferson Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Jefferson Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Jefferson Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. NY Military Records
Jefferson Co. NY Schools & Directories