Delaware County, New York
Genealogy and Facts
Delaware County, New York genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Delaware Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Delaware County was created on March 10, 1797 and formed from Ulster County and Otsego County. This particular county was named in honor of Thomas West, 3rd Baron De La Warr (1577–1618), an early colonial leader in Virginia.
The Delaware County Seat can be found in Delhi and in addition the county government website is www.co.delaware.ny.us
Regions neighboring Delaware County include Otsego County (north), Schoharie County (northeast), Greene County (east), Ulster County (southeast), Sullivan County (south), Wayne County, PA (southwest), Broome County (west), Chenango County (northwest).
Cities and Towns to be found in Delaware County consists of Andes (hamlet), Andes (town), Bovina (town), Colchester (town), Davenport (town), Delhi (village), Delhi (town), Deposit (village), Deposit (town), Fleischmanns (village), Franklin (village), Franklin (town), Hamden (town), Hancock (village), Hancock (town), Harpersfield (town), Hobart (village), Kortright (town), Margaretville (village), Masonville (town), Meredith (town), Middletown (town), Roxbury (town), Sidney (village), Sidney (town), Stamford (village), Stamford (town), Tompkins (town), Walton (village), Walton (town).
Delaware County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Delaware Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delaware Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delaware Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Delaware County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Delaware County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Delaware County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Delaware County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Delaware County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Delaware County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
- Delaware County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Court House Square, Delhi, NY 13753
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Delaware County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: (607) 746-2123
- Land Records: 1797 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1797
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Delaware County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 3 Court Street, Delhi, NY 13753
- Phone: (607) 746-2126
- Probate Records: 1797 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Delaware County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Delaware County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Delaware County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Delaware County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Delaware County genealogy or family history related sites.
Delaware Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Delaware Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in New York
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Deaths taken from the Delaware gazette (search.ancestry.com)
- Marriages taken from the Delaware gazette : Delhi, Delaware County, New York : from Aug. 7, 1844 to Dec. 31, 1879 (search.ancestry.com)
- Delaware gazette, published at Delhi, Delaware County, N.Y., from Nov. 1819 to Aug. 28, 1844, death notices (search.ancestry.com)
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962 (familysearch.org)
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935 (familysearch.org)
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980 (familysearch.org)
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952 (familysearch.org)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Delaware Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Delaware Co. NY Census Records
Delaware Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Delaware Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Delaware Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Delaware Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Delaware County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Biographical review : this volume contains biographical sketches of the leading citizens of Delaware County, New York. (search.ancestry.com)
- Delaware County, New York : history of the century, 1797-1897 : centennial celebration, June 9 and 10, 1897 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Delaware County and border wars of New York : containing a sketch of the early settlements in the county, and a hist (search.ancestry.com)
- Chapters in the history of Delaware County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- The Sidney centennial jubilee : at Sidney Plains, Delaware Co., N.Y., June 13, 1872. (search.ancestry.com)
- Delaware County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Delaware Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Delaware County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Delaware (cyndislist.com)
- Delaware County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Delaware Co. NYGenweb (dcnyhistory.org)
- Delaware County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Delaware Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Delaware Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Delaware Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Delaware Co. NY Military Records