Delaware County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Delaware County, New York Facts
When was Delaware County, NY Created?
Delaware County was created on March 10, 1797 and formed from Ulster County and Otsego County. This particular county was named in honor of Thomas West, 3rd Baron De La Warr (1577–1618), an early colonial leader in Virginia.
What is the County Seat of Delaware County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Delhi and in addition the county government website is www.co.delaware.ny.us
What counties are adjacent to Delaware County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Otsego County (north), Schoharie County (northeast), Greene County (east), Ulster County (southeast), Sullivan County (south), Wayne County, PA (southwest), Broome County (west), Chenango County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Delaware County, NY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Andes (hamlet), Andes (town), Bovina (town), Colchester (town), Davenport (town), Delhi (village), Delhi (town), Deposit (village), Deposit (town), Fleischmanns (village), Franklin (village), Franklin (town), Hamden (town), Hancock (village), Hancock (town), Harpersfield (town), Hobart (village), Kortright (town), Margaretville (village), Masonville (town), Meredith (town), Middletown (town), Roxbury (town), Sidney (village), Sidney (town), Stamford (village), Stamford (town), Tompkins (town), Walton (village), Walton (town).
Delaware County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Delaware County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Delaware County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Delaware County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- Deaths taken from the Delaware gazette
- Marriages taken from the Delaware gazette : Delhi, Delaware County, New York : from Aug. 7, 1844 to Dec. 31, 1879
- Delaware gazette, published at Delhi, Delaware County, N.Y., from Nov. 1819 to Aug. 28, 1844, death notices
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Delaware County, NY Census Records
What Delaware County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Delaware County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Delaware Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delaware Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delaware Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Delaware County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Delaware County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Delaware County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Delaware County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Delaware County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Court House Square, Delhi, NY 13753
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Delaware County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: (607) 746-2123
- Land Records: 1797 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1797
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Delaware County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 3 Court Street, Delhi, NY 13753
- Phone: (607) 746-2126
- Probate Records: 1797 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Delaware County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Delaware County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Abstracts of wills of Delaware County, New York
- Letters of administration of Delaware County, New York
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Delaware County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Delaware County, NY?
A list of Delaware County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Delaware County Historical Association, 46549 State Hwy 10, Delhi, NY 13753; Phone: (607) 746-3849
- Central New York Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 104, Colvin Station, Syracuse, NY 13205
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Delaware County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Delaware County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Delaware County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Delaware Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Delaware Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Delaware Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Delaware Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Delaware County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Biographical review : this volume contains biographical sketches of the leading citizens of Delaware County, New York. (search.ancestry.com)
- Delaware County, New York : history of the century, 1797-1897 : centennial celebration, June 9 and 10, 1897 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Delaware County and border wars of New York : containing a sketch of the early settlements in the county, and a hist (search.ancestry.com)
- Chapters in the history of Delaware County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- The Sidney centennial jubilee : at Sidney Plains, Delaware Co., N.Y., June 13, 1872. (search.ancestry.com)
- Delaware County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Delaware Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Delaware County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Delaware (cyndislist.com)
- Delaware County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Delaware Co. NYGenweb (dcnyhistory.org)
- Delaware County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Delaware Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Delaware Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Delaware Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Delaware Co. NY Military Records