Chenango County, New York
Chenango County was created on March 15, 1798 from Herkimer County and Tioga County. This particular county was named for an Onondaga word meaning "large bull-thistle" .
The Chenango County Seat can be found in Norwich and in addition the county government website is www.co.chenango.ny.us/
Regions neighboring Chenango County include Madison County (north), Otsego County (northeast), Delaware County (southeast), Broome County (south), Cortland County (west).
Cities and Towns to be found in Chenango County consists of Afton (village), Afton (town), Bainbridge (town), Bainbridge (village), Columbus (town), Coventry (town), Earlville (village), German (town), Greene (town), Greene (village), Guilford (town), Lincklaen (town), McDonough (town), New Berlin (town), New Berlin (village), North Norwich (town), Norwich (city), Norwich (town), Otselic (town), Oxford (town), Oxford (village), Pharsalia (town), Pitcher (town), Plymouth (town), Preston (town), Sherburne (town), Sherburne (village), Smithville (town), Smyrna (town), Smyrna (village).
Chenango County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chenango County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Chenango County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chenango Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chenango Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chenango Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Chenango County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Chenango County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York (raogk.org)
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- The Chenango County Historical Society,
45 Rexford Street,
Norwich, NY 13815;
- Afton Historical Society, 116 Main Street, Afton, NY 13730, Phone: 607-639-1110
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Go-Won-Go Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Greene, New York
- Guilford Historical Society, Box 201, Guilford, NY 13780
- Norwich Civil War Round Table, Chenango County Historical Museum, 45 Rexford Street, Norwich, NY, 607-334-3313
- Unadilla Valley Railway Society and Museum, PO Box 791, New Berlin, NY 13411
- The Otis A Thompson-Local History Room, Guernsey Memorial Library, 3 Court Street, Norwich, NY 13815, (607)-334-4034
- Moore Memorial Library, 59 Genesee Street, Greene, NY 13778, 607-656-9349
- Norwich City Historian, Hale Street, Norwich, NY, (607) 334-1218
- Earlville Free Library, 6 North Main St., Earlville, NY 13332, (315) 691-5931
- Oxford Historical Society and The Oxford Historical Museum, 1 Depot Street, Oxford, NY 13830, (607) 821-1223
- Oxford Memorial Library, Fort Hill Park, Oxford, NY 13830, (607) 843-6146
- Afton Museum, Afton, NY, 607-639-1625
- Coventry Museum, Coventry, NY, 607-656-9517
- Unadilla Valley Historical Museum/Mt Upton Historical Society, Route 8, PO Box 135, Mt Upton, NY 13809, 607-764-8375
- Norwich Pharmacal Co. Museum, Eaton Center, 19 Eaton Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815, 607-334-4839
- Plymouth Historical Society Depot, Plymouth, NY, 607-334-9721
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Chenango County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Chenango County
- Chenango County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Chenango County
- USGenWeb Archives for Chenango County (usgwarchives.net)
Chenango County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Chenango County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Chenango County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Chenango County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
- Chenango County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 5 Court Street, Norwich, NY 13815
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Chenango County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: (607) 337-1450
- Land Records: 1798 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1798
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Chenango County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Phone: (607) 337-1827
- Probate Records: 1798 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Chenango County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Chenango County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 45 Rexford Street, Norwich, NY 13815
- Phone: (607)337-1845
Chenango County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Chenango County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Chenango County genealogy or family history related sites.
Chenango Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Chenango Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Chenango Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Chenango Co. NY Census Records
Chenango Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Chenango Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Chenango Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Chenango Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Chenango County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Afton, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Bainbridge, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Columbus, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Coventry, NY History (artmakers.com)
- German, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Greene, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Guilford, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Lincklaen, NY History (artmakers.com)
- McDonough, NY History (artmakers.com)
- New Berlin, NY History (artmakers.com)
- North Norwich, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Norwich, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Otselic, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Oxford, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Pharsalia, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Pitcher, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Plymouth, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Preston, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Sherburne, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Smithville, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Smyrna, NY History (artmakers.com)
- History of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some to its prominent men (search.ancestry.com)
- Annals of Oxford, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and early pioneers (search.ancestry.com)
- Souvenir of the Sherburne centennial celebration : and dedication of monument to the proprietors and early settlers, held on We (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical sketches of old New Berlin (search.ancestry.com)
- Reminiscences, anecdotes and statistics of the early settlers and the òlden time' in the town of Sherburne, Chenango County, N (search.ancestry.com)
- Chenango County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Chenango Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Chenango County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Chenango (cyndislist.com)
- Chenango County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Chenango Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Chenango County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Chenango Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Chenango Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Chenango Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Chenango Co. NY Military Records
Chenango Co. NY Schools & Directories