Chenango County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Chenango County, New York Facts
When was Chenango County, NY Created?
Chenango County was created on March 15, 1798 from Herkimer County and Tioga County. This particular county was named for an Onondaga word meaning "large bull-thistle" .
What is the County Seat of Chenango County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Norwich and in addition the county government website is www.co.chenango.ny.us/
What counties are adjacent to Chenango County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Madison County (north), Otsego County (northeast), Delaware County (southeast), Broome County (south), Cortland County (west).
What cities and towns are in Chenango County, NY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Afton (village), Afton (town), Bainbridge (town), Bainbridge (village), Columbus (town), Coventry (town), Earlville (village), German (town), Greene (town), Greene (village), Guilford (town), Lincklaen (town), McDonough (town), New Berlin (town), New Berlin (village), North Norwich (town), Norwich (city), Norwich (town), Otselic (town), Oxford (town), Oxford (village), Pharsalia (town), Pitcher (town), Plymouth (town), Preston (town), Sherburne (town), Sherburne (village), Smithville (town), Smyrna (town), Smyrna (village).
Chenango County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Chenango County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chenango County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chenango County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Chenango County, NY Census Records
What Chenango County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Chenango County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chenango Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chenango Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chenango Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Chenango County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Chenango County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Chenango County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Chenango County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Chenango County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 5 Court Street, Norwich, NY 13815
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Chenango County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: (607) 337-1450
- Land Records: 1798 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1798
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Chenango County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Phone: (607) 337-1827
- Probate Records: 1798 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Chenango County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Chenango County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 45 Rexford Street, Norwich, NY 13815
- Phone: (607)337-1845
- Index to wills of Chenango County, N.Y.
- Index of wills of Chenango County, New York, from 1797-1850
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Chenango County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chenango County, NY?
A list of Chenango County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- The Chenango County Historical Society,
45 Rexford Street,
Norwich, NY 13815;
- Afton Historical Society, 116 Main Street, Afton, NY 13730, Phone: 607-639-1110
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Go-Won-Go Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Greene, New York
- Guilford Historical Society, Box 201, Guilford, NY 13780
- Norwich Civil War Round Table, Chenango County Historical Museum, 45 Rexford Street, Norwich, NY, 607-334-3313
- Unadilla Valley Railway Society and Museum, PO Box 791, New Berlin, NY 13411
- The Otis A Thompson-Local History Room, Guernsey Memorial Library, 3 Court Street, Norwich, NY 13815, (607)-334-4034
- Moore Memorial Library, 59 Genesee Street, Greene, NY 13778, 607-656-9349
- Norwich City Historian, Hale Street, Norwich, NY, (607) 334-1218
- Earlville Free Library, 6 North Main St., Earlville, NY 13332, (315) 691-5931
- Oxford Historical Society and The Oxford Historical Museum, 1 Depot Street, Oxford, NY 13830, (607) 821-1223
- Oxford Memorial Library, Fort Hill Park, Oxford, NY 13830, (607) 843-6146
- Afton Museum, Afton, NY, 607-639-1625
- Coventry Museum, Coventry, NY, 607-656-9517
- Unadilla Valley Historical Museum/Mt Upton Historical Society, Route 8, PO Box 135, Mt Upton, NY 13809, 607-764-8375
- Norwich Pharmacal Co. Museum, Eaton Center, 19 Eaton Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815, 607-334-4839
- Plymouth Historical Society Depot, Plymouth, NY, 607-334-9721
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Chenango County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Chenango County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Chenango County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Chenango Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Chenango Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Chenango Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Chenango Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Chenango County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Afton, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Bainbridge, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Columbus, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Coventry, NY History (artmakers.com)
- German, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Greene, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Guilford, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Lincklaen, NY History (artmakers.com)
- McDonough, NY History (artmakers.com)
- New Berlin, NY History (artmakers.com)
- North Norwich, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Norwich, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Otselic, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Oxford, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Pharsalia, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Pitcher, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Plymouth, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Preston, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Sherburne, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Smithville, NY History (artmakers.com)
- Smyrna, NY History (artmakers.com)
- History of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some to its prominent men (search.ancestry.com)
- Annals of Oxford, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and early pioneers (search.ancestry.com)
- Souvenir of the Sherburne centennial celebration : and dedication of monument to the proprietors and early settlers, held on We (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical sketches of old New Berlin (search.ancestry.com)
- Reminiscences, anecdotes and statistics of the early settlers and the òlden time' in the town of Sherburne, Chenango County, N (search.ancestry.com)
- Chenango County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Chenango Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Chenango County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Chenango (cyndislist.com)
- Chenango County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Chenango Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Chenango County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Chenango Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Chenango Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Chenango Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Chenango Co. NY Military Records
Chenango Co. NY Schools & Directories