Chemung County, New York
Genealogy and Facts
Chemung County was created on March 29, 1836 from Tioga County. This particular county was named for a Lenape word meaning "big horn", which was the name of a local Native American village.
The Chemung County Seat can be found in Elmira and in addition the county government website is www.chemungcounty.com/
Regions neighboring Chemung County include Schuyler County (north), Tompkins County (northeast), Tioga County (east), Bradford County, PA (south), Tioga County, PA (southwest), Steuben County (west).
Cities and Towns to be found in Chemung County consists of Ashland (town), Baldwin (town), Big Flats Airport, Big Flats (town), Catlin (town), Chemung (town), Elmira Heights (village), Elmira (city), Elmira (town), Erin (town), Horseheads North, Horseheads (town), Horseheads (village), Millport (village), Southport (town), Van Etten (town), Van Etten (village), Veteran (town), Wellsburg (village), West Elmira.
Chemung County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chemung County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Chemung County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chemung Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chemung Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chemung Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Chemung County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Chemung County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Chemung County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Chemung County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Chemung County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Chemung County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
- Chemung County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 203 Lake St., Elmira, New York 14901
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Chemung County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Address: 210 Lake Street, PO Box 588, Elmira, NY 14902-0588
- Phone: 607 737-2920
- Land Records: 1836 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1836
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Chemung County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 224 Lake Street, Post Office Box 588, Elmira, NY 14902-0588
- Phone: 607 737-2946; 607 737-2819
- Probate Records: 1836 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Chemung County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Chemung County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 1011 Lincoln Street, Elmira, NY 14901
- Phone: (607) 734-4167
Chemung County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Chemung County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Chemung County genealogy or family history related sites.
Chemung Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Chemung Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Chemung Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also New York Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- New York Wills, 1626-1836 (search.ancestry.com)
- Abstracts of wills of Chemung County, N.Y. : from 1836 to 1850 : typescript, (search.ancestry.com)
- Home for the aged, Elmira, N.Y. : articles of incorporation, by-laws and rules of the society, treasurer's report, list of off (search.ancestry.com)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Chemung Co. NY Census Records
Chemung Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Chemung Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Chemung Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Chemung Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Chemung County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Tioga, Chemung, Tompkins, and Schuyler Counties, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of (search.ancestry.com)
- Our county and its people : a history of the valley and county of Chemung from the closing years of the eighteenth century (search.ancestry.com)
- A Biographical record of Chemung County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- In dairyland (search.ancestry.com)
- Elmira historical pageant : presented at Elmira, New York, July 4-5, 1923. (search.ancestry.com)
- Chemung County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Chemung Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Chemung County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Chemung (cyndislist.com)
- Chemung County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Chemung Co. NYGenweb (joycetice.com)
- Chemung County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Chemung Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Chemung Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Chemung Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Chemung Co. NY Military Records
Chemung Co. NY Schools & Directories