Chemung County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Chemung County, New York Facts
When was Chemung County, NY Created?
Chemung County was created on March 29, 1836 from Tioga County. This particular county was named for a Lenape word meaning "big horn", which was the name of a local Native American village.
What is the County Seat of Chemung County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Elmira and in addition the county government website is www.chemungcounty.com/
What counties are adjacent to Chemung County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Schuyler County (north), Tompkins County (northeast), Tioga County (east), Bradford County, PA (south), Tioga County, PA (southwest), Steuben County (west).
What cities and towns are in Chemung County, NY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Ashland (town), Baldwin (town), Big Flats Airport, Big Flats (town), Catlin (town), Chemung (town), Elmira Heights (village), Elmira (city), Elmira (town), Erin (town), Horseheads North, Horseheads (town), Horseheads (village), Millport (village), Southport (town), Van Etten (town), Van Etten (village), Veteran (town), Wellsburg (village), West Elmira.
Chemung County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Chemung County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chemung County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chemung County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Chemung County, NY Census Records
What Chemung County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Chemung County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chemung Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chemung Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chemung Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Chemung County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Chemung County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Chemung County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Chemung County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Chemung County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 203 Lake St., Elmira, New York 14901
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Chemung County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Address: 210 Lake Street, PO Box 588, Elmira, NY 14902-0588
- Phone: 607 737-2920
- Land Records: 1836 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1836
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Chemung County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 224 Lake Street, Post Office Box 588, Elmira, NY 14902-0588
- Phone: 607 737-2946; 607 737-2819
- Probate Records: 1836 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Chemung County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Chemung County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 1011 Lincoln Street, Elmira, NY 14901
- Phone: (607) 734-4167
- Abstracts of wills of Chemung County, N.Y. : from 1836 to 1850 : typescript,
- Home for the aged, Elmira, N.Y. : articles of incorporation, by-laws and rules of the society, treasurer's report, list of off
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Chemung County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chemung County, NY?
A list of Chemung County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Steele Memorial Library, One Library Plaza, Elmira, NY 14901
- Chemung Valley History Museum, 415 E. Water Street, Elmira, NY 14901
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Chemung County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Chemung County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Chemung County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Chemung Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Chemung Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Chemung Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Chemung Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Chemung County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Tioga, Chemung, Tompkins, and Schuyler Counties, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of (search.ancestry.com)
- Our county and its people : a history of the valley and county of Chemung from the closing years of the eighteenth century (search.ancestry.com)
- A Biographical record of Chemung County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- In dairyland (search.ancestry.com)
- Elmira historical pageant : presented at Elmira, New York, July 4-5, 1923. (search.ancestry.com)
- Chemung County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Chemung Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Chemung County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Chemung (cyndislist.com)
- Chemung County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Chemung Co. NYGenweb (joycetice.com)
- Chemung County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Chemung Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Chemung Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Chemung Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Chemung Co. NY Military Records
Chemung Co. NY Schools & Directories