Chautauqua County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Chautauqua County, New York Facts
When was Chautauqua County, NY Created?
Chautauqua County was created on March 11, 1808 from Genesee County.
What is the County Seat of Chautauqua County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Mayville and in addition the county government website is www.chautauqua-ny.com
What counties are adjacent to Chautauqua County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Erie County, Cattaraugus County, Warren County, PA, Erie County, PA.
Chautauqua County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Chautauqua County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chautauqua County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chautauqua County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Chautauqua County, NY Census Records
What Chautauqua County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Chautauqua County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chautauqua Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chautauqua Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chautauqua Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Chautauqua County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Chautauqua County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Chautauqua County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Chautauqua County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Chautauqua County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Chautauqua County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chautauqua County, NY?
A list of Chautauqua County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Chautauqua County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 404, Fredonia, NY 14063; , The societes publication, The Chautauqua Genealogist, is published quarterly.
- Chautauqua County Historical Society and McClurg Museum, P.O. Box 7, Westfield, NY 14787, Phone: 716-326-2977
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Western New York Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 338, Hamburg, New York 14075-0338
- Bemus Point Historical Society, 13 Albertus Dr., Bemus Point , NY 14712
- Busti Historical Society, 3443 Lawson Road, Jamestown, NY 14701, (716) 483-3670
- Carroll Historical Society, Thomas Fenton, 542 Ivory Road, Frewsburg, NY 14738
- Celeron Historical Society, Edison LeRoy, 22-C Bradmar Court, Celeron, NY 14720
- Chautauqua Institution Archives, Chautauqua, NY 14722, (716) 357-6332/6306
- Chautauqua Township Historical Society, 15 Water Street, Mayville, NY 14757, (716) 753-7535
- Clymer Historical Society, Roger Westley, P. O. Box 114, Clymer, NY 14724
- Dunkirk Historical Society, 513 Washington , Dunkirk, NY 14048
- Ellington Historical Society, Laura Cronk, Box 473, Kennedy, NY 14747
- Fenton History Center, Christin Stein, 67 Washington Street, Jamestown, NY 14701, (716) 664-6256
- Findley Lake & Mina Historical Society, Community Building, Findley Lake, NY 14736
- French Creek Historical Society, R. D. 2, Clymer, NY 14724
- Hanover Historical Room, 68 Hanover Street, Silver Creek, NY 14136
- Harmony Historical Society Museum, 1943 Open Meadows , P. O. Box 127, Ashville, NY 14710
- Kiantone Historical Society, 959 Prosser Hill , Jamestown, NY 14701
- Lily Dale Historical Museum, Library and East Streets, Lily Dale, NY 14136
- Painted Hills Genealogy Society,
- Point Chautauqua Historical Society, 5997 Diamond , Dewittville, NY 14782, (716) 753-2772
- Robert H. Jackson Center, 305 East Fourth , P. O. Box 879, Jamestown, NY 14701-0879, (716) 483-6646
- Sheridan Historical Society, Sheridan Town Hall, Main Street, Sheridan, NY 14135
- Silver Creek Historical Center, 172 Central Avenue, Silver Creek, NY 14136
- Valley Historical Society, Main Street, Sinclairville, NY 14782
- Yorker Museum, Park & Church , Sherman, NY 14781, (716) 761-6789 or (716) (716) 287-3963
- Fenton History Center, 67 Washington Street, Jamestown, NY 14701, Phone: 716-664-6256, The research center includes family name files, cemetery inscriptions, marriages and death extracted from 19th century newspapers, photographs, diaries and other sources associated with the county.
- Chautauqua Institution Smith Memorial Library, 21 Miller Ave, P.O. Box 1093, Chautauqua, NY 14722, Phone: (716) 357-6332/6306
- Darwin R. Barker Library and Historical Museum, 7 Day Street , Fredonia, NY 14063-1891 , Phone: (716) 672-8051
- Patterson Library, 40 South Portage Street , Westfield, NY 14787 , Phone: (716) 326-2154
- Reed Library SUNY College at Fredonia , Fredonia, NY 14063 , Phone: (716) 673-3183
- Dunkirk Historical Museum , 513 Washington Avenue , Dunkirk, NY 14048 , Phone: (716) 366-3797
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Chautauqua County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Chautauqua County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Chautauqua County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Chautauqua Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Chautauqua Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- New York Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Gravestone inscriptions of Fluvannah [sic] Cemetery, Fluvannah, [sic] N.Y., Burrows Private Cemetery, Mayville, N.Y., Mayville (search.ancestry.com)
- Gravestone inscriptions of Chautauqua Cemetery, Chautauqua, N.Y. : Hunt family private cemetery, Chautauqua, N.Y., Magnolia Cem (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Evergreen cemetery (search.ancestry.com)
- Yorker cemetery record, Sherman, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Chautauqua Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Chautauqua County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Chautauqua Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Chautauqua Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chautauqua County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Chautauqua Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Chautauqua Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Chautauqua County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A general administrative survey of the city of Jamestown, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Index [to] Biographical cyclopedia of Chautauqua County, New York by B.F. Diller (search.ancestry.com)
- The Jamestown evening journal index, January 1900-December 1905 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chautauqua publications (search.ancestry.com)
- Index of Chautauqua County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- The Chautauqua region [of] New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Index to History of the town of Harmony (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Chautauqua County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family (search.ancestry.com)
- The early history of the town of Ellicott, Chautauqua County, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- The conquest of Chautauqua. : Jamestown and vicinity in the pioneer and later periods as told by pioneer newspapers and persons (search.ancestry.com)
- Chautauqua County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Chautauqua Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Chautauqua County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Chautauqua (cyndislist.com)
- Chautauqua County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Chautauqua Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Chautauqua County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Chautauqua Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Chautauqua Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Chautauqua Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Chautauqua Co. NY Military Records
- New York Military Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Soldiers of the American Revolution : who at one time were residents of, or whose graves are located in Chautauqua County, New (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Cassadaga Camp (search.ancestry.com)
- Supplement to soldiers of the American Revolution, Chautauqua County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 (familysearch.org)
- New York Civil War Records (1861-65) (search.ancestry.com)
- New York Military Records (Fold3.com) provides easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the New York both women and men who served. Perfect for Chautauqua County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Chautauqua Co. NY Schools & Directories