Cumberland County, New Jersey
Cumberland County was established on 1748 from Salem County. The county was named in honor of Prince William, Duke of Cumberland (1721–1765), second son of George II of England and military victor at the Battle of Culloden in 1746 .
The Cumberland County Seat is located in Bridgeton plus the county government website is www.co.cumberland.nj.us
Locales surrounding Cumberland County are Gloucester County (north), Atlantic County (northeast), Cape May County (southeast), Kent County, Delaware (west), Salem County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Cumberland County are made up of Bridgeton, Millville, Vineland. Communities include Cedarville, Delmont, Dorchester, Fairton, Fortescue, Laurel Lake, Mauricetown, Port Elizabeth, Port Norris, Rosenhayn, Seabrook Farms.
Townships include Commercial, Deerfield, Downe, Fairfield, Greenwich, Hopewell, Lawrence, Maurice River, Stow Creek, Upper Deerfield. Boroughs include Shiloh.
Cumberland County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800 (missing), 1810 (missing), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cumberland Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research.
Cumberland County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cumberland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for New Jersey (raogk.org)
- New Jersey State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cumberland County Historical Society, P.O. Box 16, Gibson House, Greenwich, NJ 08323; (609) 455-4055
- Mauricetown Historical Society, 1229 Front Street, Mauricetown, New Jersey 08329
- Millville Historical Society, 2nd & Main, Millville NJ
- Vineland Historical Society, 108 South Seventh Street, P.O. Box 35, Vineland, NJ 08362; 856-691-1111
- Cumberland County, New Jersey Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cumberland County
- Cumberland County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cumberland County
- USGenWeb Archives for Cumberland County (usgwarchives.net)
Cumberland County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the advantages of Cumberland County court, probate, and land records data as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in New Jersey courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and worries of the many New Jersey citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least some elements of their lives in the Cumberland County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
You should call the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of employees will help individuals in finding the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the basic research.
The following information and facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are usually in Cumberland County. The years stated below are considered the first widely known records data for this particular county.
- Cumberland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address:60 W. Broad Street, Bridgeton, NJ 08302
- Cumberland County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Phone: (856) 453-4860
- Land Records: 1766 mortgages / 1785 deeds
- Marriage Records: 1748
- Cumberland County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Phone: (856) 453-4800
- Probate Records: 1785 orphans' court minutes / 1804 surrogates' records
- Cumberland County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies ofBirth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Cumberland County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Cumberland County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is merely a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most popular Cumberland County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Cumberland Co. NJ Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cumberland Co. NJ Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in New Jersey
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Cumberland County, New Jersey Marriages, 1740-1910 (search.ancestry.com)
- Cumberland County (New Jersey) marriages (search.ancestry.com)
- South Jersey marriages : supplementing the Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, and Salem County marriage records (search.ancestry.com)
- New Jersey, Births and Christenings Index, 1660-1931 (search.ancestry.com)
- New Jersey, County Marriages, 1682-1956 (familysearch.org)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Cumberland Co. NJ Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cumberland Co. NJ Census Records
Cumberland Co. NJ Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cumberland Co. NJ Church & Bible Records
Cumberland Co. NJ Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cumberland Co. NJ General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New Jersey
- Cumberland County, New Jersey Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of the counties of Gloucester, Salem, and Cumberland, New Jersey (search.ancestry.com)
- This volume contains biographical sketches of leading citizens of Cumberland County, New Jersey (search.ancestry.com)
- Gouldtown, a very remarkable settlement of ancient date : studies of some sturdy examples of the simple life, together with ske (search.ancestry.com)
- Historic days in Cumberland County, New Jersey, 1855-1865 : political and war time reminiscences (search.ancestry.com)
- Cumberland County, New Jersey genealogical data : records pertaining to persons residing in Cumberland County prior to 1800 (search.ancestry.com)
- Cumberland County, New Jersey Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Cumberland Co. NJ Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Cumberland County, New Jersey (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New Jersey - Counties - Cumberland (cyndislist.com)
- Cumberland County New Jersey (genealogytrails.com)
- Cumberland Co. NJGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Cumberland County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Cumberland Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Cumberland Co. NJ Immigration & Naturalization
Cumberland Co. NJ Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cumberland Co. NJ Military Records