Shannon County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Shannon County, Missouri Facts
When was Shannon County, MO Created?
Shannon County was created on January 29, 1841 from Ripley County. The county was named in honor of George Shannon (1785–1836), member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
What is the County Seat of Shannon County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Eminence and in addition the county government website is unknown
What counties are adjacent to Shannon County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Dent County (north), Reynolds County (east), Carter County (southeast), Oregon County (south), Howell County (southwest), Texas County (west).
What cities and towns are in Shannon County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Akers, Alley Spring, Birch Tree, Eminence, Ink, Midridge, Montier, Summersville, Teresita, Winona.
Shannon County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Shannon County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Shannon County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Shannon County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Shannon County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Shannon County, MO Census Records
What Shannon County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Shannon County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Shannon Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Shannon Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Shannon Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Shannon Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Shannon County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Shannon County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Shannon County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Shannon County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Courthouse was burned by Federal soldiers in 1863 destroying this early courthouse along with all county records; , Fire destroyed the Courthouse December 31, 1871; An arsonist set fire to the courthouse and both clerks' offices in March of 1895. The courthouse was not seriously damaged, although all county records were destroyed; On May 23, 1938, fire destroyed the courthouse.
- Shannon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 106 Main St, Eminence, MO 65466
- Shannon County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-226-3315
- Marriage Records: 1881 (including Marriage records, 1881-1921)
- Land Records: 1859 (including Index to deeds, 1859-1887; Deed records, 1871-1892)
- Shannon County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573) 226-3315
- Probate Records: 1869 (including Index to probate records, 1869-1911; Probate records, 1880-1904; Administrator’s/executor’s docket, 1875-1896; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1876-1899; Settlement records, 1876-1891; Will records, 1907-1918)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1872 (including Index to circuit court records, (no dates); Circuit court records, 1872-1915; Index to tax suits, 1880-1932)
- Shannon County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 226-3414
- Birth & Death Records: ?
- Shannon County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Shannon County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Shannon County, MO?
A list of Shannon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Winona Historical and Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 335, Winona, MO 65588; Phone: (573) 325-4728
- South Central Missouri Genealogical Society, 9 Court Square, West Plains, MO 65775
- Ozarks Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Shannon County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Shannon County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Shannon County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Shannon Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Shannon Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Shannon Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Shannon Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Shannon Co. MO General and History Websites
Shannon Co. MO Military Records
Shannon Co. MO Schools & Directories