Scott County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Scott County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Scott Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Scott County was created on December 28, 1821 (effective March 1, 1822) from New Madrid County. The county was named in honor of John Guier Scott (1819–1892), a U.S. Representative from Missouri.
The Scott County Seat is situated in Benton and in addition the county government website is www.scottcountymo.com
Areas surrounding Scott County include Cape Girardeau County (northwest), Alexander County, Illinois (northeast), Mississippi County (southeast), New Madrid County (south), Stoddard County (southwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Scott County include Benton, Blodgett, Chaffee, Commerce, Diehlstadt, Haywood City, Illmo, Kelso, Lambert, Miner, Morley, Oran, Perkins, Scott City, Sikeston, Vanduser.
Scott County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Scott Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Scott Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Scott Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Scott Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Scott County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Scott County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Chaffee Historical Society and Museum, 112 North Main, Chaffee, MO 63740, Phone: (573) 887-6225
- Scott County Historical
and Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 151, Benton, MO 63736
- Commerce Historical and Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 93, 30 Missouri Street, Commerce, MO 63742-0093 , Phone: (573) 264-2199
- Scott County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Scott County
- Scott County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Scott County
- USGenWeb Archives for Scott County
Scott County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Scott County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Scott County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Scott County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
- Scott County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 131 S. Winchester Street, Benton, Missouri 63736
- Scott County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-545-3551
- Marriage Records: 1840 (including Index to marriage records, 1840-1938; Marriage records, 1840-1920)
- Land Records: 1822 (including Index to deeds, 1822-1897; Deed records, 1822-1894; Quitclaim deeds, 1887-1901)
- Scott County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 573-545-3596
- Probate Records: 1825 (including Index to probate records, 1855-1860; Probate records, 1846-1889; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1862-1933; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1855-1889; Settlement records, 1855-1886; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1863-1891; Probate docket, 1863-1890; Will records, 1825-1926)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1822 (including Index to circuit court records, 1842-1897; Circuit court records, 1822-1897)
- Scott County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 573-545-3549
- Birth & Death Records: 1883–86 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1886; Register of births, 1883-1886; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1886; Register of deaths, 1883-1886; Record of common pleas, 1867-1869)
- Scott County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Scott County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Scott County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Scott County genealogy or family history related sites.
Scott Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Scott Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Scott Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Scott Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Scott Co. MO Census Records
Scott Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Scott Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Scott Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Scott Co. MO General and History Websites
Scott Co. MO Military Records
Scott Co. MO Schools & Directories