Reynolds County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Reynolds County, Missouri Facts
When was Reynolds County, MO Created?
Reynolds County was created on February 25, 1845 from Shannon County. The county was named in honor of Thomas Reynolds (1796–1844), governor of Missouri from 1840 to 1844 .
What is the County Seat of Reynolds County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Centerville and in addition the county government website is unknown
What counties are adjacent to Reynolds County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Dent County, Iron County, Wayne County, Carter County, Shannon County.
What cities and towns are in Reynolds County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Black, Bunker, Centerville, Ellington, Reynolds, Lesterville.
Reynolds County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Reynolds County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Reynolds County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Reynolds County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Reynolds County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Reynolds County, MO Census Records
What Reynolds County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Reynolds County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Reynolds Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Reynolds Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Reynolds Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Reynolds Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Reynolds County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Reynolds County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Reynolds County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Reynolds County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. The courthouse has burned twice. The first time was in December, 1863, when the confederate army burned it. A new courthouse was built in the fall of 1867 on the same foundation as the prior one. This courthouse was burned in late November, 1871. Both times all records were destroyed. Temporary quarters again burned May 27, 1872, while a new "fireproof" courthouse was being built.
- Reynolds County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 76, Centerville, MO 63633
- Reynolds County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-648-2494
- Marriage Records: 1872 (including Marriage records, 1872-1925)
- Land Records: 1872 (including Index to deeds, 1872-1891; Deed records, 1872-1899; Land assessment record, 1881)
- Reynolds County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573) 648-2494
- Probate Records: 1872 (including Probaterecords, 1872-1889; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1872-1930; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1875-1893; Will records, 1908-1943)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1872 (including Index to circuit court records, 1872-1910; Circuit court records, 1872-1891)
- Reynolds County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 648-2494
- Birth & Death Records: 1883–86 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1886;Permanent record of births, 1883-1886; Register of deaths, 1883-1886; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1886; State census, 1876)
- Reynolds County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Reynolds County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Reynolds County, MO?
A list of Reynolds County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Reynolds County Genealogy& Historical Society, P.O. Box 281, 200 South Main, Ellington, MO 63638-0281;
Phone: (573) 663-3233
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Reynolds County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Reynolds County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Reynolds County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Reynolds Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Reynolds Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Reynolds Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Reynolds Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Reynolds Co. MO General and History Websites
Reynolds Co. MO Military Records
Reynolds Co. MO Schools & Directories