Randolph County, Missouri
Randolph County was created on January 22, 1829 from Chariton County and Ralls County. The county was named in honor of John Randolph of Roanoke (1773–1833), a leader in Congress from Virginia and spokesman for the "Old Republican" .
The Randolph County Seat is situated in Huntsville and in addition the county government website is www.randolphcounty-mo.com
Areas surrounding Randolph County include Macon County (north), Monroe County (east), Audrain County (southeast), Boone County (southeast), Howard County (south), Chariton County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Randolph County include Cairo, Clark, Clifton Hill, Higbee, Huntsville, Jacksonville, Moberly, Renick.
Randolph County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process
You can search online for Randolph County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Randolph County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Randolph Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Randolph Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Randolph Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Randolph Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Randolph County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Randolph County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Huntsville Historical Society, 107 Main Street , Huntsville, MO 65259
- Randolph County Historical Society, 223 N Clark Str, Moberly, MO 65270; Ph: (660) 263-9396
- Northeast Missouri Genealogical Society, 112 North Fourth Street, Canton, MO 63435; Phone: (217) 656-3853
- Genealogical Society of Central Missouri, P.O. Box 26 3801 Ponderosa , Columbia, MO 65205; Phone: (573) 443-8936
- Randolph County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Randolph County
- Randolph County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Randolph County
- USGenWeb Archives for Randolph County
Randolph County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Randolph County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Randolph County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Randolph County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. Courthouse burned on August 12, 1882, the fire began in the second story between the two towers, consumed the courthouse.; Some records were destroyed. Deed index from 1829 survived
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Randolph County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 110 S Main St, Huntsville, MO 65259
- Randolph County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (660) 277-4718 or (660) 277-5822
- Marriage Records: 1829 (including Index to marriage records, 1829-1895; Marriage records, 1829-1917; Register of marriage license, 1883-1908)
- Land Records: 1841 (including Index to deeds, 1829-1886; Deed records, 1841-1893)
- Randolph County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 660-277- 4601 or 660-277-5822
- Probate Records: 1829 (including Index to probate records, 1829-1888; Probate records, 1829-1888; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1873-1926; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1855-1899; Settlement records, 1843-1854 and 1858-1890; Index to will records, 1877-1914; Will records, 1836-1920)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1858 (including Circuit court records, 1858-1891)
- Randolph County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (660) 277-4717 or (660) 277-5822
- Birth & Death Records: 1883–89 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1889; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1889; Common pleas records, 1875-1879 and 1882-1886)
- Randolph County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Randolph County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Randolph County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Randolph County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Randolph County genealogy or family history related sites.
Randolph Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Randolph Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Randolph Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Randolph Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Randolph Co. MO Census Records
Randolph Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Randolph Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Randolph Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Randolph Co. MO General and History Websites
Randolph Co. MO Military Records
Randolph Co. MO Schools & Directories