Pettis County, Missouri
Pettis County was created on January 26, 1833 from Cooper County and Saline County. The county was named in honor of Spencer Darwin Pettis (1802–1831), U.S. Representative from Missouri.
The Pettis County Seat is situated in Sedalia and in addition the county government website is www.pettiscomo.com
Areas surrounding Pettis County include Saline County (north), Cooper County (east), Morgan County (southeast), Benton County (south), Henry County (southwest), Johnson County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Pettis County include Green Ridge, Houstonia, Hughesville, Ionia, La Monte, Sedalia, Smithton, Windsor.
Pettis County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Pettis County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Pettis County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Pettis Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Pettis Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pettis Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pettis Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Pettis County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Pettis County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pettis County Historical Society, c/o Sedalia Public Library, 311 West Third Street, Sedalia, MO 65301-4399
- Katy Railroad Historical Society , P.O. Box 1784, Sedalia, MO 65301
- State Fair Community College Library, 3201 W 16th Str, Sedalia, MO 65301; Ph: (660) 530-5800
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library, 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032; Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Pettis County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pettis County
- Pettis County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Pettis County
- USGenWeb Archives for Pettis County
Pettis County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Pettis County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Pettis County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pettis county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Pettis County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 415 S. Ohio, Sedalia, Missouri 65301
- Pettis County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 660-826-5000 ext 922
- Marriage Records: 1833 (including Index to marriage records, 1833-1922; Marriage records, 1833-1916; Negro/colored marriage records, 1865-1874)
- Land Records: 1833 (including Index to deeds, 1833-1885; Deed records, 1833-1888)
- Pettis County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (660) 826-5000 ext. 453
- Probate Records: 1833 (including Index to probate records, 1834-1 934; Probate records, 1837-1886; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1833-1882; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1868-1887; Settlement records, 1868-1887; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1868-1882; Will records, 1835-1921)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1833 (including Index to circuit court records, 1838-1890; Circuit court records, 1833-1886; Naturalization records, 1903-1906; Declaration of intents, 1891 -1906)
- Pettis County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 660.826.5000
- Birth & Death Records: 1883–85 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1885)
- Pettis County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Pettis County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Pettis County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Pettis County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Pettis County genealogy or family history related sites.
Pettis Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Pettis Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Pettis Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Pettis Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Pettis Co. MO Census Records
Pettis Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Pettis Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Pettis Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Pettis Co. MO General and History Websites
Pettis Co. MO Military Records
Pettis Co. MO Schools & Directories