Oregon County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Oregon County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Oregon Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Oregon County was created on February 14, 1845 from Ripley County. The county was named after the Oregon Territory.
The Oregon County Seat is situated in Alton and in addition the county government website is unknown
Areas surrounding Oregon County include Shannon County (north), Carter County (northeast), Ripley County (east), Randolph County, Arkansas (southeast), Sharp County, Arkansas (south), Fulton County, Arkansas (southwest), Howell County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Oregon County include Alton, Bardley, Couch, Koshkonong, Myrtle, Thomasville, Thayer.
Oregon County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Oregon Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Oregon Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Oregon Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Oregon Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Oregon County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Oregon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- South Central Missouri Genealogical Society , 9 Court Square, West Plains, MO 65775
- Oregon County Genealogical Society, c/o Oregon County Courthouse, Alton, MO 65791
- Historical Society of Oregon County, Route 2, Box 3A, Koshkonong, MO 65692; Ph: (417) 867-3285
- Ozarks Genealogical Society ; P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Oregon County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Oregon County
- Oregon County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Oregon County
- USGenWeb Archives for Oregon County
Oregon County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Oregon County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Oregon County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Oregon County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. In October 1863 this courthouse was burned in a Civil War incident, destroying many county records.
- Oregon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Oregon County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 417-778-1827
- Marriage Records: 1845-77, extant for 1845-61 and 1877 only (including Marriage records, 1845-1861 and 1877-1924)
- Land Records: 1845 (including Index to deeds, 1845-1898; Deed records, 1845-1915; Patent records, 1887-1909)
- Oregon County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (417) 778-7460
- Probate Records: 1854 (including Index to probate records, (no dates); Probate records, 1857-1890; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1854-1892; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1883-1935; Settlement records, 1873-1892; Will records, 1854-1938)
- Court & Divorce Records: extant for 1845-59 and 1872 only (including Index to circuit court records, 1845-?; Circuit court records, 1845-1859 and 1872-1889; Naturalization records, 1889-1904)
- Oregon County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (417) 778-7475
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-90 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1887; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1890; Register of deaths, 1883-1889)
- Oregon County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Oregon County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Oregon County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Oregon County genealogy or family history related sites.
Oregon Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Oregon Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Oregon Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Oregon Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Oregon Co. MO Census Records
Oregon Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Oregon Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Oregon Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Oregon Co. MO General and History Websites
Oregon Co. MO Military Records
Oregon Co. MO Schools & Directories