Nodaway County, Missouri
Nodaway County was created on February 14, 1845 from Andrew County. The county was named for the Nodaway River, a 120-mile (190 km) long river in southwest Iowa and northwest Missouri .
The Nodaway County Seat is situated in Maryville and in addition the county government website is www.nodawaycountymo.com
Areas surrounding Nodaway County include Page County, Iowa (northwest), Taylor County, Iowa (north), Worth County (northeast), Gentry County (southeast), Andrew County (south), Holt County (southwest), Atchison County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Nodaway County include Maryville, Burlington Junction, Hopkins, Ravenwood, Skidmore, Barnard, Conception, Conception Junction, Parnell, Graham, Clearmont, Elmo, Pickering, Guilford, Clyde, Arkoe, Quitman.
Nodaway County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Nodaway County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Nodaway County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Nodaway Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Nodaway Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Nodaway Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Nodaway Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Nodaway County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Nodaway County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri (raogk.org)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Nodaway County Historical Society, 110 North Walnut, Maryville, Missouri 64468 ; Phone (660) 582-8176
- Nodaway County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 214, Maryville, MO 64468
- Barnard Community Historical Society, 633 2nd Street, Barnard, MO 64423
- Hopkins Historical Society, P.O. Box 292, 113 North Third Street, Hopkins, MO 64461
- Sons & Daughters of the Blue & Gray Civil War Roundtable of Northwest Missouri, P.O. Box 316, Maryville, MO 64468; Phone: (660) 582-2159
- Northwest Missouri Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 382, St. Joseph, MO 64502; Phone: (816) 233-0524
- Nodaway County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Nodaway County
- Nodaway County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Nodaway County
- USGenWeb Archives for Nodaway County
Nodaway County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Nodaway County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Nodaway County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Nodaway county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Nodaway County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 305 N. Main St, Maryville, MO 64468
- Nodaway County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 660-582-5711
- Marriage Records: 1845 (including Index to marriage records, 1845-1927; Marriage records, 1845-1916)
- Land Records: 1845 (including Index to deeds, 1845-1887; Deed records, 1845-1888; Quitclaim deeds, 1879-1887; Mortgage deeds, 1884-1886)
- Nodaway County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 660-582-5431
- Probate Records: 1845 (including Index to probate records, 1845-1 889; Probate records, 1845-1891; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1858-1864; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1871-1888; Will records, 1846-1919)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1845 (including Index to circuit court records, 1845-1897; Circuit court records, 1846-1887)
- Nodaway County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (660)-582-2251
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1931; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1889; Register of deaths, 1883-1893)
- Nodaway County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Nodaway County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Nodaway County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Nodaway County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Nodaway County genealogy or family history related sites.
Nodaway Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Nodaway Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Nodaway Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Nodaway Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Nodaway Co. MO Census Records
Nodaway Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Nodaway Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Nodaway Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Nodaway Co. MO General and History Websites
Nodaway Co. MO Military Records
Nodaway Co. MO Schools & Directories