Morgan County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Morgan County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Morgan Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Morgan County was created on January 5, 1833 from Cooper County. The county was named in honor of Daniel Morgan (c. 1736–1802), American pioneer, soldier, and United States Representative from Virginia.
The Morgan County Seat is situated in Versailles and in addition the county government website is www.morgan-county.org
Areas surrounding Morgan County include Cooper County (north), Moniteau County (northeast), Miller County (southeast), Camden County (south), Benton County (west), Pettis County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Morgan County include Barnett, Florence, Gravois Mills, Laurie, Rocky Mount, Stover, Sunrise Beach, Syracuse, Versailles.
Morgan County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Morgan Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Morgan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Morgan County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Morgan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Morgan County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Morgan County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Morgan County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Morgan County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. Records incomplete.
Courthouse burned 1887.
- Morgan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 E. Newton, Versailles, MO 65084
- Morgan County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-378-4029
- Marriage Records: 1833 (including Index to marriage records, 1833-1882; Marriage records, 1833-1928)
- Land Records: 1837 (including Index to deeds, 1834-1890; Deed records, 1837-1888)
- Morgan County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Address: Morgan County Justice Center, 211 East Newton, Versailles, MO 65084
- Phone: 573-378-4413
- Probate Records: 1834 (including Probate records, 1834-1889; Record of heirs, 1873-1918; Will records, 1835-1919)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1833 (including Circuit court records, 1833-1897)
- Morgan County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 573-378-5436
- Birth Records: 1841-63 and 1883-86 only (including Record of births, 1841-1863; Permanent record of births, 1883-1886)
- Death Records: 1883-86 (including Register of deaths, 1883-1886)
- Morgan County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Morgan County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Morgan County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Morgan County genealogy or family history related sites.
Morgan Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Morgan Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Morgan Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Morgan Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Morgan Co. MO Census Records
Morgan Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Morgan Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Morgan Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Morgan Co. MO General and History Websites
Morgan Co. MO Military Records
Morgan Co. MO Schools & Directories