Montgomery County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Montgomery County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Montgomery Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Montgomery County was created on December 14, 1818 (effective January 1, 1819) from St. Charles County. The county was named in honor of Richard Montgomery (1738–1775), an Irish-born soldier who first served in the British Army and later became a brigadier-general in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War.
The Montgomery County Seat is situated in Montgomery City and in addition the county government website is unknown
Areas surrounding Montgomery County include Audrain County (northwest), Pike County (northeast), Lincoln County (east), Warren County (southeast), Gasconade County (south), Callaway County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Montgomery County include Bellflower, Bluffton, Buell, High Hill, Jonesburg, McKittrick, Middletown, Mineola, Montgomery City, New Florence, Rhineland, Wellsville.
Montgomery County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Montgomery Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Montgomery Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montgomery Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montgomery Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Montgomery County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Montgomery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Montgomery Co Genealogical Society, 112 W Second Street, Montgomery City, MO 63361
- Montgomery Co Historical Society, 112 W 2nd Str, Montgomery City, MO 63361; Ph: (573) 564-2370
- Prairie Life Historical Foundation, P.O. Box 52, 300 N 2nd Str, Wellsville, MO 63384; Ph: (573) 648-2743
- Montgomery County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Montgomery County
- Montgomery County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Montgomery County
- USGenWeb Archives for Montgomery County
Montgomery County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Montgomery County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Montgomery County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Montgomery county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Damaged by fire in the Civil War, the Courtgouse was later razed; The Courthouse burned April 12, 1901, destroying many county records. Copies of early original deds are in Jones Abstract Company in Montgomery City.
- Montgomery County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 211 E. Third, Montgomery City, MO 63361
- Montgomery County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-564-3157
- Marriage Records: 1864 (including Index to marriage records, 1873-1933; Marriage records, 1864-1922; Negro/colored marriage records, 1865-1881)
- Land Records: 1839 (including Index to deeds, 1864-1975; Deed records, 1866-1930 [Note: Copies of the original early deeds are in Jones Abstract Company in Montgomery City.]*; Supplied deeds, 1839-1900)
- Montgomery County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573) 564-3341
- Probate Records:1839 (including Index to probate records, 1889-1900; Will records, 1889-1922)
- Court & Divorce Records: ?
- Montgomery County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 564-3357
- Birth & Death Records: ? (including State census 1876)
- Montgomery County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Montgomery County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Montgomery County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Montgomery County genealogy or family history related sites.
Montgomery Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Montgomery Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Montgomery Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Montgomery Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Montgomery Co. MO Census Records
Montgomery Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Montgomery Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Montgomery Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Montgomery Co. MO General and History Websites
Montgomery Co. MO Military Records
Montgomery Co. MO Schools & Directories