Moniteau County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Moniteau County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Moniteau Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Moniteau County was created on February 14, 1845 from Cole County and Morgan County. The county was named for the Moniteau Creek; "moniteau" is a French spelling of manitou, the Algonquian Great Spirit.
The Moniteau County Seat is situated in California and in addition the county government website is unknown
Areas surrounding Moniteau County include Cooper County (northwest), Boone County (northeast), Cole County (southeast), Miller County (south), Morgan County (southwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Moniteau County include California, Clarksburg, Fortuna, High Point, Jamestown, Latham, Lupus, McGirk, Tipton.
Moniteau County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Moniteau Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Moniteau Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Moniteau Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Moniteau Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Moniteau County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Moniteau County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Moniteau County Historical Society, 201 North High Street, California, MO 65018; Ph: (573) 796-4833
- Genealogical Society of Central Missouri, P.O. Box 26 3801 Ponderosa , Columbia, MO 65205; Phone: (573) 443-8936
- Mid-Missouri Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 715, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Moniteau County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Moniteau County
- Moniteau County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Moniteau County
- USGenWeb Archives for Moniteau County
Moniteau County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Moniteau County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Moniteau County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Moniteau county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
- Moniteau County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 E. Main, California, MO 65018
- Moniteau County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-796-2071
- Marriage Records: 1845 (including Marriage records, 1845-1917; Negro/colored marriage records, 1865-1891)
- Land Records: 1845 (including Index to deeds, 1845-1882; Deed records, 1845-1895)
- Moniteau County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573) 796-2071
- Probate Records: 1845 (including Index to probate records, 1845-1959; Probate records, 1845-1911; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1845-1911; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1844-1885; Proof of publication, notices and affidavits, 1864-1875; Settlement records, 1845-1894; Probate docket, 1857-1876; Will records, 1845-1923)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1845 (including Circuit court records, 1845-1 898)
- Moniteau County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 796-4661
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-94 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1889; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1894; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1887; Federal census, 1850; State census, 1876; Justice of the peace docket books, 1870-1956)
- Moniteau County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Moniteau County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Moniteau County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Moniteau County genealogy or family history related sites.
Moniteau Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Moniteau Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Moniteau Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Moniteau Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Moniteau Co. MO Census Records
Moniteau Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Moniteau Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Moniteau Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Moniteau Co. MO General and History Websites
Moniteau Co. MO Military Records
Moniteau Co. MO Schools & Directories