Lincoln County, Missouri
Lincoln County was created on December 14, 1818 (effective January 1, 1819) from St.
Charles County. The county was named for either Lincoln County, Kentucky (birthplace of Christopher Clark, a Missouri legislator who advocated for the county's creation), or for Benjamin Lincoln (1733-1810), an American revolutionary war general .
The Lincoln County Seat is situated in Troy and in addition the county government website is www.lcmo.us
Areas surrounding Lincoln County include Pike County (north), Calhoun County IL (east), St. Charles County (southeast), Warren County (southwest), Montgomery County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Lincoln County include Cave, Chain of Rocks, Corso, Elsberry, Foley, Fountain N' Lakes, Hawk Point, Moscow Mills, Old Monroe, Olney, Silex, Troy, Truxton, Whiteside, Winfield.
Lincoln County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Lincoln County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Lincoln County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lincoln Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Lincoln Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lincoln Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lincoln Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lincoln County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lincoln County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri (raogk.org)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Boone-Duden Historical Society, P.O. Box 82, New Melle, MO 63365
- Lincoln County Missouri Genealogical Society, 1023 Ridge Road, Troy, MO 63379-5654
- Lincoln County Historical and Archeological Society, 211 West Collier Street, Troy, MO 63379; Phone: (636) 338-4344
- Lincoln County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lincoln County
- Lincoln County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lincoln County
- USGenWeb Archives for Lincoln County
Lincoln County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Lincoln County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Lincoln County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Lincoln County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Lincoln County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 201 Main St., Troy, MO 63379
- Lincoln County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 636-528-0325
- Marriage Records: 1825 (including Index to marriage records, 1860-1907; Marriage records, 1825-1918; Register of marriages, 1882-1931)
- Land Records: 1819 (including Index to deeds, 1819-1890; Deed records, 1819-1890; Plat book, 1829-1853)
- Lincoln County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Address: Lincoln County Justice Center, 45 Business Park Drive, Troy, MO 63379
- Phone: (636) 528-6300
- Probate Records: 1820 (including Probate records, 1820-1889; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1821-1902; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1855-1888; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1875-1902; Will records, 1825-1916)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1819 (including Circuit court records, 1819-1886)
- Lincoln County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (636) 528-6300
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-84 (including Register of deaths, 1883-1884)
- Lincoln County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Lincoln County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Lincoln County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Lincoln County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Lincoln County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lincoln Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lincoln Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lincoln Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lincoln Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lincoln Co. MO Census Records
Lincoln Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lincoln Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Lincoln Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lincoln Co. MO General and History Websites
Lincoln Co. MO Military Records
Lincoln Co. MO Schools & Directories