Lafayette County, Missouri
Lafayette County was created on November 16, 1820 (effective January 1, 1821) from Cooper County. The county was named in honor of Gilbert du Motier, the Marquis de Lafayette (1757-1834), French military officer and general in the American Revolutionary War.
The Lafayette County Seat is situated in Lexington and in addition the county government website is www.lafayettecountymo.com
Areas surrounding Lafayette County include Ray County (northwest), Carroll County (northeast), Saline County (east), Johnson County (south), Jackson County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Lafayette County include Alma, Aullville, Bates City, Blackburn, Concordia, Corder, Dover, Emma, Higginsville, Lake Lafayette, Lexington, Mayview, Napoleon, Oak Grove, Odessa, Waverly, Wellington
Lafayette County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process
You can search online for Lafayette County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Lafayette County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lafayette Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Lafayette Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lafayette Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lafayette Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lafayette County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lafayette County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lafayette County Historical Society, 101 West Phillips, Lexington, MO 64067
- Concordia Area Heritage Society, P.O. Box 91, 709 South Main, Concordia, MO 64020
- Lexington Historical Association, P.O. Box 121, 112 South Thirteenth Street , Lexington, MO 64067; Phone: (660) 259-6313
- Harvey J. Higgins Historical Society, 2113 Main, Higginsville, MO 64037-1125; Ph: (660) 584-3232
- Wellington-Napoleon Historical Society, , Route1, Box 6, Napoleon, MO 64074; Phone: (816) 934-8351
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library , 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032; Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, , c/o Kansas City Public Library, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Lafayette County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lafayette County
- Lafayette County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lafayette County
- USGenWeb Archives for Lafayette County
Lafayette County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Lafayette County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Lafayette County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Lafayette County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Lafayette County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 116 S. 10th St., Lexington, MO 64067
- Lafayette County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 660-259-6178
- Marriage Records: 1821 (including Index to marriage records, 1821-1973; Marriage records, 1821-1919)
- Land Records: 1820 (including Index to deeds, 1821-1886; Deed records, 1820-1895)
- Lafayette County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 660-259-6101
- Probate Records: 1821 (including Index to probate records, 1821-1897; Probate records, 1821-1887; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1821-1914; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1850-1891; Proof of publication, notices and affidavits, 1863-1877; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1879-1924; Will records, 1821-1924)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1821 (including Circuit court records, 1821-1886)
- Lafayette County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (660) 259-4315
- Birth & Death Records: ?
- Lafayette County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Lafayette County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Lafayette County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Lafayette County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Lafayette County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lafayette Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lafayette Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lafayette Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lafayette Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lafayette Co. MO Census Records
Lafayette Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lafayette Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Lafayette Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lafayette Co. MO General and History Websites
Lafayette Co. MO Military Records
Lafayette Co. MO Schools & Directories