Howard County, Missouri
Howard County was created on January 23, 1816 (effective March 1, 1816) from St. Charles County and St. Louis County. The county was named in honor of Benjamin Howard (1760-1814), a Congressman from Kentucky, governor of Missouri Territory and a brigadier general in theWar of 1812.
The Howard County Seat is situated in Fayette and in addition the county government website is unknown
Areas surrounding Howard County include Chariton County (northwest), Randolph County (northeast), Boone County (southeast), Cooper County (south), Saline County (west)..
Cities and towns to be found in Howard County include Armstrong, Fayette, Franklin, Glasgow, New Franklin.
Howard County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Howard County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Howard County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Howard Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Howard Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Howard Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Howard Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Howard County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Howard County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- South Howard County Historical Society, P.O. Box 201, 110 East Broadway, New Franklin, MO 65274
- Howard County Genealogical Society , 201 South Main Street, Fayette, MO 65248; Phone: (660) 248-3348
- Genealogical Society of Central Missouri, P.O. Box 26 3801 Ponderosa , Columbia, MO 65205; Phone: (573) 443-8936
- Boonslick Historical Society of Cooper and Howard Counties, 811 7th Street Terrace, Boonville, MO 65233; (660) 882-6370
- Fayette Area Heritage Association, P.O. Box 124,
120 North Church Street,
Fayette, MO 65248;
Phone: (660) 248-2200
- United Methodist Church-Missouri West Conference Central Methodist College, Smiley Library, Fayette, MO 65248 Phone: (660) 248-6279
- Howard County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Howard County
- Howard County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Howard County
- USGenWeb Archives for Howard County
Howard County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Howard County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Howard County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Howard County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. Fire destroyed the courthouse December 1, 1886. No recorde were lost.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Howard County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Courthouse Square, Fayette, MO 65248
- Howard County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 660-248-2194
- Marriage Records: 1816 (including Index to marriage records, 1816-1972; Marriage records, 1816-1919; Negro/colored marriage records, 1865-1879)
- Land Records: 1816 (including Index to deeds, 1816-1889; Deed records, 1816-1924)
- Howard County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (660) 248-2194
- Probate Records: 1818 (including Probate records, 1821-1887; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1880-1900; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1868-1892; Settlement records, 1836-1891; Index to will records, 1818-1896; Will records, 1818-1918)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1816 (including Index to circuit court records, 1831-1896; Circuit court records, 1816-1889)
- Howard County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (660) 248-2284
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1893; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1888; State census, 1876)
- Howard County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Howard County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Howard County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Howard County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Howard County genealogy or family history related sites.
Howard Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Howard Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Howard Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Howard Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Howard Co. MO Census Records
Howard Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Howard Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Howard Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Howard Co. MO General and History Websites
Howard Co. MO Military Records
Howard Co. MO Schools & Directories