Henry County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Henry County, Missouri Facts
When was Henry County, MO Created?
Henry County was created on December 13, 1834 from Lafayette County (originally called Lillard). The county was named in honor of Patrick Henry (1736-1799), first post-colonial Governor of Virginia and prominent figure in the American Revolution.
What is the County Seat of Henry County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Clinton and in addition the county government website is unknown
What counties are adjacent to Henry County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Johnson County (north), Pettis County (northeast), Benton County (east), St. Clair County (south), Bates County (west), Cass County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Henry County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Blairstown, Brownington, Calhoun, Clinton, Deepwater, Hartwell, La Due, Montrose, Tightwad, Urich, Windsor.
What Townships are in Henry County, MO?
Townships located in the County include Alberta, Bowen, Coal, Delmar, Finey, Gaines, Garland, Germantown, Harvey, Hortense, Huntingdale, Leesville, Lewis, Livingston, Lucas, Maurine, Mount Zion, New Piper, Norris, Petersburg, Piper, Quarles, Roseland, Shawnee Mound.
Henry County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Henry County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Henry County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Henry County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Henry County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Henry County, MO Census Records
What Henry County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Henry County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Henry Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Henry Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Henry County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Henry County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Henry County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Henry County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Henry County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 West Franklin, Clinton, Missouri 64735
- Henry County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (660)-885-7209
- Marriage Records: 1835 (including Index to marriage records, 1871-?; Marriage records, 1835-1916)
- Land Records: 1835 (including Index to deeds, 1837-1886; Deed records, 1835-1939; Mortgage deeds, 1875-1887)
- Henry County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (660) 885-7230
- Probate Records: 1834 (including Index to probate records, 1836-1973; Probate records, 1836-1886; Index to records instruments, (no dates); Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1854-1887; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1854-1886; Will records, 1854-1917)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1835 (including Circuit court records, 1835-1885)
- Henry County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (660) 885-7204
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-90
- Henry County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Henry County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Henry County, MO?
A list of Henry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Henry County Historical Society, P.O. Box 65, 203 W Franklin Str, Clinton, MO 64735; Ph: (660) 885-8414
- Windsor Historical Society, P.O Box 111, 104 South Franklin, Windsor, MO. 65360; Ph: (660) 647-2543
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library, 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032; Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, c/o Kansas City Public Library, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Henry County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Henry County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Henry County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Henry Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Henry Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Henry Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Henry Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Henry Co. MO General and History Websites
Henry Co. MO Military Records
Henry Co. MO Schools & Directories