Harrison County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Harrison County, Missouri Facts
When was Harrison County, MO Created?
Harrison County was created on February 14, 1845 from Daviess County. The county was named in honor of Albert G. Harrison (1800-1839), U.S. Representative from Missouri.
What is the County Seat of Harrison County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Bethany and in addition the county government website is unknown
What counties are adjacent to Harrison County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Ringgold County, Iowa, Decatur County, Iowa, Mercer County, Grundy County, Daviess County, Gentry County, Worth County.
What cities and towns are in Harrison County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bethany, Blythedale, Cainsville, Eagleville, Gilman City, Hatfield, Martinsville, Mount Moriah, New Hampton, Ridgeway.
Harrison County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Harrison County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Harrison County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Harrison County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Harrison County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- Harrison County, Missouri Marriages: 1846-80 (A-D)
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Harrison County, MO Census Records
What Harrison County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Harrison County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Harrison Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Harrison Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harrison Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harrison Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Harrison County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Harrison County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Harrison County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Harrison County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Fire destroyed the Courthouse January 7, 1874.
- Harrison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1505 Main Street, Bethany, MO 64424
- Harrison County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 660-425-6425
- Marriage Records: 1845
- Land Records: 1845
- Harrison County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (660) 425-6425
- Probate Records: 1853 (including Index to probate records, 1857-1865 and 1869-1893; Probate records, 1853-1883; Index to administrator’s executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1859-1898; Administrator’s executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1859-1898; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1858-1885; Settlement records, 1869-1887; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1876-1879; Index to will records, (no dates); Will records, 1879-1922)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1845
- Harrison County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (660) 425-6424
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1889; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1893)
- Harrison County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Harrison County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Harrison County, MO?
A list of Harrison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Harrison County Genealogical Society, 2307 Central Street, Bethany, MO 64424; Phone: (660) 425-2459
- Harrison County Historical Society, 2205 Oakland Avenue, Bethany, MO 64424; Phone: (660) 425-3367
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Harrison County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Harrison County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Harrison County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Harrison Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Harrison Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Harrison Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Harrison Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Harrison Co. MO General and History Websites
Harrison Co. MO Military Records
Harrison Co. MO Schools & Directories