Gasconade County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Gasconade County, Missouri Facts
When was Gasconade County, MO Created?
Gasconade County was created on November 25, 1820 from Franklin County (effective January 1, 1821). The county was named for the Gasconade River, a tributary of the Missouri River; the river probably derives its name from the French word "gascon" which means braggart, and could be an old satirical name describing those who boast about their adventures upon return to St. Louis.
What is the County Seat of Gasconade County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Hermann and in addition the county government website is unknown
What counties are adjacent to Gasconade County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Montgomery County (north), Warren County (northeast), Franklin County (east), Crawford County (southeast), Phelps County (south), Maries County (southwest), Osage County (west).
What cities and towns are in Gasconade County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bland, Gasconade, Hermann, Morrison, Mount Sterling, Owensville, Rosebud.
Gasconade County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Gasconade County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Gasconade County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Gasconade County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Gasconade County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Gasconade County, MO Census Records
What Gasconade County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Gasconade County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Gasconade Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Gasconade Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gasconade Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gasconade Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Gasconade County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Gasconade County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Gasconade County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Gasconade County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Gasconade County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 119 E. First St., Hermann, MO 65041
- Gasconade County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-486-2632
- Marriage Records: 1822 (including Marriage records, 1822-1920; Marriage register, 1883-1916)
- Land Records: 1821 (including Index to deeds, 1821-1888; Deed records, 1821-1889)
- Gasconade County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573) 486-2632
- Probate Records: 1825 (including Index to probate records, (no dates); Probate records, 1827-1891; Probate minutes, 1875-1892; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1825-1903; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1866-1893; Guardian’s! curator’s records, 1841-1907; Probate ledger, 1849-1867; Index to will records, (no dates); Will records, 1849-1918)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1821 (including Index to circuit court records, 1868-1875 and 1877-1888; Circuit court records, 1821-1888; Naturalization records, 1894-1904)
- Gasconade County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 486-5427
- Birth & Death Records: 1867-96 (including Permanent record of births, 1867-1896; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1891; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1896)
- Gasconade County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Gasconade County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Gasconade County, MO?
A list of Gasconade County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Gasconade County Historical Society, P.O. Box 131, Hermann, MO 65041-0131; Phone: (573) 437-5617:
- Historic Hermann, 312 Schiller Street, Hermann, MO 65041; Phone: (573) 486-2017
- Daniel Boone and Frontier Families Research Association, 1770 Little Bay Road, Hermann, MO 65041; Phone: (573) 291-0737
- Deutschheim Verein (Deutschheim Association), P.O. Box 16, 109 W. Second Street, Hermann, MO 65041; Phone: (573) 486-2200
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Gasconade County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Gasconade County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Gasconade County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Gasconade Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Gasconade Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Gasconade Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Gasconade Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Gasconade Co. MO General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Missouri
- Gasconade County, Missouri Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Gasconade County History - Gasconade County, Missouri (gscnd.com)
- History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford & Gasconade Counties, Missouri : from the earliest time to the present : t (search.ancestry.com)
- The German Settlement Society of Philadelphia and its colony, Hermann, Missouri (search.ancestry.com)
- Gasconade County, Missouri Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Gasconade Co. MO Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Gasconade County, Missouri (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Missouri - Counties - Gasconade (cyndislist.com)
- Gasconade County Missouri (genealogytrails.com)
- Gasconade Co. MOGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Gasconade County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Gasconade Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Gasconade Co. MO Military Records
Gasconade Co. MO Schools & Directories