Gasconade County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Gasconade County was created on November 25, 1820 from Franklin County (effective January 1, 1821). The county was named for the Gasconade River, a tributary of the Missouri River; the river probably derives its name from the French word "gascon" which means braggart, and could be an old satirical name describing those who boast about their adventures upon return to St. Louis.
The Gasconade County Seat is situated in Hermann and in addition the county government website is unknown
Areas surrounding Gasconade County include Montgomery County (north), Warren County (northeast), Franklin County (east), Crawford County (southeast), Phelps County (south), Maries County (southwest), Osage County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Gasconade County include Bland, Gasconade, Hermann, Morrison, Mount Sterling, Owensville, Rosebud.
Gasconade County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Gasconade Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Gasconade Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gasconade Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gasconade Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Gasconade County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Gasconade County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Gasconade County Historical Society, P.O. Box 131, Hermann, MO 65041-0131; Phone: (573) 437-5617:
- Historic Hermann, 312 Schiller Street, Hermann, MO 65041; Phone: (573) 486-2017
- Daniel Boone and Frontier Families Research Association, 1770 Little Bay Road, Hermann, MO 65041; Phone: (573) 291-0737
- Deutschheim Verein (Deutschheim Association), P.O. Box 16, 109 W. Second Street, Hermann, MO 65041; Phone: (573) 486-2200
- Gasconade County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Gasconade County
- Gasconade County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Gasconade County
- USGenWeb Archives for Gasconade County
Gasconade County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Gasconade County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Gasconade County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Gasconade County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
- Gasconade County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 119 E. First St., Hermann, MO 65041
- Gasconade County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-486-2632
- Marriage Records: 1822 (including Marriage records, 1822-1920; Marriage register, 1883-1916)
- Land Records: 1821 (including Index to deeds, 1821-1888; Deed records, 1821-1889)
- Gasconade County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573) 486-2632
- Probate Records: 1825 (including Index to probate records, (no dates); Probate records, 1827-1891; Probate minutes, 1875-1892; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1825-1903; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1866-1893; Guardian’s! curator’s records, 1841-1907; Probate ledger, 1849-1867; Index to will records, (no dates); Will records, 1849-1918)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1821 (including Index to circuit court records, 1868-1875 and 1877-1888; Circuit court records, 1821-1888; Naturalization records, 1894-1904)
- Gasconade County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 486-5427
- Birth & Death Records: 1867-96 (including Permanent record of births, 1867-1896; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1891; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1896)
- Gasconade County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Gasconade County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Gasconade County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Gasconade County genealogy or family history related sites.
Gasconade Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Gasconade Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Gasconade Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Gasconade Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Gasconade Co. MO Census Records
Gasconade Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Gasconade Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Gasconade Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Gasconade Co. MO General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Missouri
- Gasconade County, Missouri Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Gasconade County History - Gasconade County, Missouri (gscnd.com)
- History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford & Gasconade Counties, Missouri : from the earliest time to the present : t (search.ancestry.com)
- The German Settlement Society of Philadelphia and its colony, Hermann, Missouri (search.ancestry.com)
- Gasconade County, Missouri Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Gasconade Co. MO Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Gasconade County, Missouri (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Missouri - Counties - Gasconade (cyndislist.com)
- Gasconade County Missouri (genealogytrails.com)
- Gasconade Co. MOGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Gasconade County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Gasconade Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Gasconade Co. MO Military Records
Gasconade Co. MO Schools & Directories